Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joining The Clay Q pulled beef bandwagon today - need help

Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two 3 lb. chuck roasts on per recipe, but my meat temp has already hit 125 in the first 45 minutes. First take off temp is 160. Will the meat hit a plateau at some level and then climb very slowly for a long time like a brisket? Clay says the first step should take about 5 hours +/-. Thanks, Mark

Comments

• 105-0504_IMG.jpg
    <p />Weekend Warrior, Now at 143. Any help?

• Two hours into the cook and the meat is at 160. Do I pull now or hope it doesn't climb much higher? I have triple checked my dome and meat temps and I am confident that I'm holding a steady 240 dome. What do you think? Please, some advice. Thanks, Mark
  • If it's 160 take it off, don't worry too much about times just temps.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Weekend Warrior,
    Take off now. Let the beef cool down to 150, place it in the Dutch oven and your good to go. Watch the internal temps for this second stage so the temps creep up nice and slow. The cooking will slow down with the cool pot going in so I think your ok. If you went higher than 160 in the first stage, your still ok, just let the beef cool to 150 to start the second stage. Go nice and slow in second stage for the plateau to do it's thing. Good luck, sorry I was away from the laptop.
    Clay

• ClayQ, Thank you so much. The temperature of the meat hit 163 and finally stopped rising, so I figured that I had finally hit the plateau. I was worried. I already have the maple syrup and water ready to go in the dutch oven over the meat. Can't wait to try during the Steelers victory over the Saints! Thanks again, Mark

• Clay Q
    Weekend Warrior,
    Yeah, sometimes it cooks faster or slower, depending. Each cook can be a little different, my last one was 14 hours with 11 pounds of meat. Let'er creep in stage two, after 180 your safe to climb out.

• Clay Q
    Weekend Warrior,
    Yeah, that sound good. Ok, keep it low here and leave it stall. Nice work.

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Weekend Warrior,
    I'm doing the same thing with similar results. After 2:25 @ 240ish. I was at 163. I pulled off and went to step 2. I am going to a movie about the time 2 is through. I assime I can pullmeat, leave in a hot cooler and do step 3 later? Ideas?
    Thanks,
    Walt

• Clay Q
    cecil,
    Sure, you can do the second smoking later. Stage two is the most critical and once the beef is pullable your home free. The second stage smokes the sauce and meat for a better tasting product.

• Clay Q
    ClayQ,
    Should read; Third stage smokes the sauce and meat...
    Sorry 'bout that.

• Weekend Warrior, never fear. I'd recommend running to the local deli. Get some Chopped Ham have them slice on number 1 on the slicer. They will hate you since most of the slicers do not have a motor attached. If they do not have a number 1 tell them to shave it. Place the Chipped Ham in the Dutch Oven cover with your favorite BBQ saue. Place on a large bun, place on a paper plate and pop a Iron City. go Steelers. My Iron City went to the famous Celtic Wolf in Grenwood, who promptly forgot about it. I hope TB or Chip enjoyed it.

• ClayQ, Boy, the board got really active all of the sudden. The roasts are doing fine in stage two. Tempurature creeping up very slowly. I'm sure I'll be snacking after the Steelers have put up a couple TD's on the unsuspecting and overachieving Saints of last year! Thank you for chiming in. I feel like and Egg pro, but in my heart I know I'm still just a newb. Best regards, Mark

• Steeler Fan, That's funny! Most people outside the area don't understand what chip-chopped ham is. We vacation in NC every year and we have to explain specifically what we want in the deli to get chip-chopped for sandwiches.
    Go Steelers! Mark

• BBQEd
    BBQEd Posts: 63
    IMG_5733.jpg
    <p />Steeler Fan,
    Make sure the Chipped Ham is from Isaly's and don't forget to make sure yinz guys go daantan n'at on your way home.[p]BBQ, just another yinzer, Ed

• greg
    greg Posts: 25
    BBQEd,
    chipped ham is a mixture of chopped ham---best is dubuque---mixed with brown sugar--that is what isalys did--and then hope u get a free klondike in the ice cream klondike-

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Weekend Warrior,
    HA! Grew up on chipped chop ham and Luger's square baloney! I love the "yinz goin dauntaun"... My fam's on the Northside... Troy Hill! Heading to Kennywood on Sept 1st for Croatian Day!