Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about hamburgers??

Your Eggcellency
Your Eggcellency Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first cook on the BGE and I`d like to know if I can cook hamburgers below 400 since i`m suppose to stay below that for a few cooks..Any suggestions?Any good recipes? May have to use the gas grill!Ha THANKS..Enjoyed meeting some of the guys at Dillard!!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Your Eggcellency,[p]Cook them at 400...you'll be fine. Just don't let the temperatures rage at 600+ and you shouldn't have any problems. [p]I like to make burgers with about 1/3 pound patties and dust them with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. I add a slice of sharp cheddar just as they are finishing up.[p]About 6-7 minutes per side to a nice medium doneness.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Your Eggcellency,[p]
    Why do you need to stay below 400º for the the first few cooks. I broke in both my grills with high 750º sear for steaks.

• Your Eggcellency,
    burgers are great when cooked longer at lower temps. ..i like to do mine at around 300 degrees on a raised grid (if you don't have one no big deal). ...1/2 pound burgers can take around 30 minutes or so to be done this way, but great flavor and very juicy. . .[p]couple of keys to a great burger[p]1. use 80/20 ground beef (double ground brisket is great too, but you want the fat content for great flavor and moistness)[p]2. DO NOT PRESS DOWN ON THE BURGER while on the grill. .. all you are doing is pressing the juices out of the meat![p]3. add whatever seasoning you like (i like some dizzy cow lick or raising the steaks), and i always add a couple of tablespoons of worceshtishire sauce but add whatever you like[p]4. only flip the burger once and again DON"T PRESS DOWN ON IT. ..[p]lower temps make for a great burger :)[p]here are some avocado burgers i did a while back. ..yum[p]IMG_0961.jpg[p]IMG_0963.jpg[p]IMG_0966.jpg[p]IMG_0965.jpg[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome,YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!Thanks, looks great,Marty

• Your Eggcellency,[p]DON'T USE THE GAS GRILL![p]Try some low and slow Burgers. I cook burgers both ways, quick and hot or low and slow, depending on time and mood.[p]I love this low and slow recipe I got from Mad Max below.[p]Joey[p]MAD MAX’S “Big Honkin Naked Burgers!” (slow style)
    • both dizzy cowlick and redeyeexpress are fantastic on burgers. ... i like to mix in a good dose of worchesteshire sauce or bbq sauce into the ground beef (always go at least 80/20 ground beef, never the leaner, dryer stuff). . ..make up some 1/2 pound patties, then hit them with a good coating of the rub. .. .i've found from others here on the forum that i like doing the burgers rather slowly. ..raised grid direct at around 300 degrees dome temp. ..takes a little longer, but dang the flavor is good. .. . i don't even put them on buns or with cheese anymore. ...call them 'big honkin naked burgers'. ..good stuff. ..
    they can take up to a good 15 minutes per side. ..more of roasted burger than a grilled one ...the juice will litterally flow out of it. . ..

• Rollocks,Because of the glue on the gasket..Marty

• Legally Blind Egghead,
    dang, i'd forgotten about that posting. .. at least i was consistent!! . . LOL

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    fathers_day_burger1_web.jpg
    <p />Your Eggcellency,[p]I cook mine at 350. And these days, thanks to some repeated pictorial influence from certain forum members, I do them as I've outlined at the link below.[p]Good luck and welcome![p]TRex
    [ul][li]Burgers[/ul]
  • Rollocks,[p]Glad it worked for you. [p]My second cook I went to 700 degree dome and melted glue and had to replace the gasket.[p]Steaks were vert good though.