Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

poor seal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings-Last week I had dinner guests that were new to the egg,I usually keep a close eye, as we all now how curoius guests have to lift the lid to look. Well with the lid locked open he attemped to force close it and I arrived just in time to catch the lid in my arms before it crashed to the concrete.
However upon reassembling I find when I tighten the bands the rear of the lid lifts and I do not have a good seal.
I have done a long and low cook and saw my smoke escaping and a high temp cook and also see smoke escape. Is there a trick to proper seating or do I just need to play with it a bit.
Thanks in advance-Im off to a ball game I will check in later
WW

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    WW,
    Kind of surprised someone (one of the mechanics) didn't jump in to help you.
    I've never had the problem you describe but from posts I've read it sounds as though your bands (hinge) might be twisted or bent somehow. Not sure just how to fix it. Hope one of the brighter bulbs jumps in for you.
    Carey

• WW, sorry to tell you but you or your curious friend is going to have to replace your damaged band. I haven't seen anyone post yet who was able to salvage one once that has happened. Again, we all need a sign that says DON'T TOUCH OR I BREAK-A-YOUR-FACE

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    WW,[p]How the same thing happen to mine. My solution was to buy a new band. Now I have one with the yellow piece of plastic that reads, "release lever". Hopefully, that will help.[p]Jethro
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Jethro,[p]Or perhaps I HAD the same thin happen to mine.