Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help for Luau

mike
mike Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are hosting a Luau party in several weeks. I would love to prepare something on the egg for this event, but I have not been able to see too many suitable recipes in the archives. Lamb or pork would seem to be good candidates. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Mike,[p]If you did pulled pork without the rubs, maybe just salt and pepper, you should get meat similar to the pork they serve at the luaus. -RP
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Mike,
    First..order some wood from Guava Greg.
    I like to make polynesian wings and/or meatballs. Cook as normal and then glaze with pineapple jelly mixed with soy and worstershire. I always add just a little pineapple to my cole slaw, and a trick I learned from my hawaiian buddy is to add just a little crabmeat(even imitation works) to the potato salad, smoked chicken salad with amaretto and toasted almonds, mango salsa.
    We throw a luau twice a year with great results. We never shoot for being authentic..just fun. Do some google searches for polynesian recipes to find things that can't be done on the egg,like pineapple-can alcoholic jello(yum!).
    Big'un

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Mike,
    Here is an idea. Several years ago before the BGE I would take pork butt, salt, liquid smoke and wrap in banana or ti leaves. Slow roast in oven for many hours wiwth a few cups of liquid. . Today the same principle works except the liquid smoke is not necessary and leaf wrapping is an option. As previously mentioned, a variation of pulled pork. Don't forget the POI![p]Turkey, Whole, Hawaiian Luau Kalua, Mike McQ

Thought I'd share a Turkey recipe I did for two occasions last year that got raves. Luau's always serve kalua pig but some also add kalua turkey, which I based this target flavor on. (I plan to do my next butt with this brine.)
    [p]Ingredients:
    13-15 lb Turkey
    The Brine Follows:
    2 Fresh lemons quartered, juice squeezed, rind tossed in
    2 Fresh limes quartered, juice squeezed, rind tossed in
    3 gal Water, enough to just cover birdie
    1 Sweet red pepper cut up
    1 cup Soy sauce
    1 Sweet yellow pepper cut
    1 cup Sea salt
    6 Cloves garlic crushed
    2.5 cup Dark brown sugar
    1 Large chunk of ginger root, peeled and crushed
    2 Tbs Ground allspice
    1 Core from fresh pineapple (fruit for salad) or small can
    2 Tbs Black pepper
    12 Peels from dozen or so madarin oranges (fruit for salad)
    1 Tbs Thyme
    12 Ti leaves (optional)
    1 large sweet onion chopped

Preparation Directions:
    1 Give your bird a brine bath in the frig for a minimum 12hrs, 24hrs or longer better:)
    2 Remove Turkey and strain the brine keeping the solid goodies. Now stuff the bird with same.
    3 If you really want all out authentic next completely wrap your bird in Ti leaves. (pronounced tea) I couldn't find them locally at any oriental market, ordered them from a Florist!
    Cooking Directions:
    1 The wood, Mesquite. My research revealed it's the closest to the Kava used traditionally in Hawaii, except it's gotten hard for them to even get so they often use mesquite themselves!
    2 Since I use a Big Green Traeger instead of a Big Green Egg specific technique will vary. I slow smoke (~150°f) for 6 hrs then raised to 225°f for about another 8hrs or so. I only took internal temp to 165° my first two. The breast meat was so moist it just squirted. It was not fall apart like pulled pork. I'm thinking my next one to take it to 200° and see how it is.
    3 The second one I did was for Thanksgiving and I didn't want the pale skin you'll get wrapping with Ti leaves so I omitted them. Taste was almost the same but the Ti leaves do impart a bit of their own unique flavor. Hmmm, just had a thought. Maybe remove them after about half done cooking as a compromise...
    Special Instructions:
    1 Coconut macadamia nut candied yams, fresh mixed fruit salad, Hawaiian sweet rolls etc make it a fun Hawaiian style feast. Poi optional:)

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Mike McQ mikemcq@quixnet.net[p]Source: BGE Forum, Mike McQ

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Mike, I did some ribs using a mix of Kikoman Teriaki glaze/sauce, Lawry's Hawaiian marinade and can of crushed pineapple. I mixed this together and poured it on the ribs during the foil part, then grilled and sauce with the same stuff, it was good eats! Everyone always remembered those ribs.

• mike
    tach18k,
    Thank you very much. I will give it a shot this weekend.

• mike
    Richard,
    Many, many thanks. I will give it a shot.

• mike
    Big'un,
    Great suggestions. Thanks.

• mike