Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature...as measured where?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In a post about porterhouse steak, Wise One said that "...the traditional 3/3/4 at 750 should create a fine medium rare porterhouse. That is 3 minutes on each side at 750 and then close all the vents and let it dwell for about 4 minutes." I'll take his word for it. HOWEVER, that would 750 degrees as measured by the dome thermometer, right? But is that really the temp at grill height? If you have three or four large steaks on the grill, would temps below the meat tend to be somewhat higher than at thermometer level? In general, leaving a steak (even a thick one) over 750 fire for three minutes per side seems a tad much. Or am I worry too much here?

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Hal,[p]While I am not nearly as wise as Wise One (if I were, I'd be Wise Cornfed instead of just plain Cornfed), I think he's referring to the Dome temp. The topic of measuring and using dome temp vs grill temp is a debated one. Also, the topic of the differences between the two temps is debated. Most on this forum, though, simply use dome temps to keep things simple.[p]That being said, I have seen some nice setups with a dome temp to measure the temp at the dome, a polder to measure the internal temp of the meat being cooked, and another polder to measure grill temp. I think Cat did this at E2K+1. I think this might be a cool thing to do if for no other reason than to see some empirical evidence of the real differences and relationships among the various readings.[p]To make a long story short, though, I believe Mr Wise One is referring to dome temps..[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed,[p]The multi-thermometer approach with the Polder is intriguing, but my understanding is that running your Polder over 400 degrees pretty well fries it, e.g., doing that porterhouse at 750.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Hal,[p]True. I think Cat was doing that on some low and slow ribs (temp <= 250*).[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Hal,[p]Don't confuse dome temp with any other temps. We all use dome temps as a refference point and no thought to what the temp of the grid, or under the Egg or on your porch should be used. Since we all have the same cooker or close enough to the same, so we just use the dome temp since we all have a way to measure that.[p]As far as the others temps - I did a test 2 yrs ago with 5 polder probes at grid, 4" above grid, at the gasket, at the chimney, and dome. I used a fire of 325-350 and a slide daisy top. I found that after 5 min, the temps in the dome start to equalize and they are close to each other as far as the grid temp and 4" above grid. This makes perfect sense as long as you have a restriction on the top. If you use no chimney, you loose a lot of heat and that uses more fuel.[p]Also, be very carefull about doing steaks with exact times. I have yet to do one the same way everytime and there are hot spots on the Eggs and they are not in the same place each time. Use times as a guide - not a rule. Adjust as needed.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    steaks.jpg
    <p />Hal,
    as Cornfed mentioned, that would be the dome temp. That is not the temp at all at grill height...just a reference. In fact 750 dome can mean many things. If you have a fire stabilized at 750, you have a dang hot fire. But the flames can easily shoot the dome temp up to 750 before you have a truly screaming bed of coals. Also lump seems to burn at different temps depending on the load and the particular lump. Plus certain parts of the grate can be significantly hotter than others. You will need to do a tad of experimenting yourself. With direct-over-the-coals cooking, going by dome temp and time is really not enough....IMHO.[p]After a few steak cooks, you will start noticing how much charring has occured after your first flip, and at that point you can make a judgement on time. Press on the meat. Observe what is happening. My steak cooks never seem to have the same timing.[p]hope that helps a tad. Just what I have found!
    Beers! and juicy pink steaks to you.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Tim M,[p] Good point re: hotspots. Since my firebox broke
    I have a hot spot right above the crack at about the
    10:00 o'clock position. If I remember, I can minimize
    the effect for awhile by covering the crack with charcoal.
    Time for a new firebox I think.[p]Chuck

• Bobby Que
    Options
    View?u=1317113&a=10430504&p=53820341&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />Hal,[p]You may be worrying to much. [p]Here is a picture of a large Porterhouse steak rubbed with Charcrust (garlic & Peppercorn) and cooked at a starting dome temp of 750 degrees for 3/3/5. It came out a little less than medium rare and was delicious.

• Tim M
    Options
    Bobby Que,[p]And a fine looking red - maybe a Cabernet or Merlot by the color. That is "My" kinda steak!![p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    GaDawg,[p]A single crack and you're ready for a new one? Wait longer - one crack won't hurt - I have 3 and have had it for 3+ years. No, you will have hot spots on it with or without a crack. It just depends where the fuel and oxygen mix best that day. My gas grills had predictable hot spots, but the Eggs don't, they vary somewhat. [p]
  • Bobby Que
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Yowsir- but not a fancy cabernet. We use California and lately Australian reds. Beats iced tea any day!

• Tim M
    Options
    Bobby Que,[p]Oh Yea! I love Calf cabs and merlots. They are a mainstay around here. French doesn't show up here much anymore either.[p]Tim