Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Fire Box Grid

Options
MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone use a cast iron fire box grid? (looks like a cast iron floor drain) If so how do you find it works? What size do you use for a large

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    100_1071.jpg
    <p />MAC,
    i take it you have the older ceramic type, better airflow and higher quicker temps with the cast iron one. mine only last a few years, but for most they never look this bad. i dont think anyone else is burning these up like me, they should last several years

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    MAC,
    yes I do. You need a 9" diameter one for your large. Trouble is finding a cast iron one in some towns as the big boxes don't carry them nor do many of the hardware chains. Last time I bought one I had to go to a professional plumber supply store. Hopefully they will sell you one since most of those shops are wholesalers, but sometimes they will help. You do realize don't you that BGE sells their cast iron grate now don't you? BTW the last floor drain cover cost me $10 as I recall.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SkyRider
    SkyRider Posts: 41
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Heck...that looks sorta like one of the Guru's TurboGrate...and no wonder it burns hotter & faster!