Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can anyone help me?

Options
Daddio
Daddio Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a London Broil that has been marinating in some soy, wine, and pineapple for the last 24 hrs. I would like to know the temperatures and times for a medium cooked piece of meat. Can anyone of you eggsperts help this newbie out? Thanks in Advance!!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    london1.jpg
    <p />Daddio,[p]I do them alot, but like steaks, use the times as a guide - not as a rule. I do mine like a steak. Hot fire, 700-800 deg, then do about 5-7 min on side one and judge for the next. I like a heavy sear on both sides. Then you can "Dwell" it for whatever time is needed to get the middle to the doneness you want, maybe 10 min. It will take around 20-30 min. You can add chips during the dwell. Wait for 2-3 min then add them. The smoke will pour out but be carefull and "burp" the Egg before lifting the dome or - flashback![p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim M's[/ul]
  • Tim M, 20 to 30 minutes at 700-800°??? Man that spells home made lump in my book. 8^)

• Tim M
    Options
    one feral kat,
    You should update that book.[p]You think SMALL. What size is your London Broil? Mine are good sized. 5-5-10 would not be uncommon not would 8-7-8 or many other combos. Lean meat cooks slower than marbled meat.[p]Tim

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Daddio,[p]I like a method suggested to me by JJ. It works every time and provides pan juices for au jus. It only requires a short handled cast iron pan.[p]Sear the cut at 650-750°F. I like to dry the meat with a paper towel prior to searing as this helps produce a nicer sear. Searing times run 2-4 minutes per side, depending on meat thickness (1-2"). Remove the meat, closing the vents to almost shut to keep a viable fire. Slice into 3/16-1/4" strips, cutting across the grain, placing them into the pan. Finish cooking in the Egg. The finish is quick and you can judge the doneness visually.[p]Spin
  • Daddio
    Options
    Tim M, Thanks for the advice. It sounds great and I will try it. The BGE is heating up and so are my tastebuds. Thanks everyone for your eggpertise.....[p]

• Tim M, okay okay everything is realitive but last week I cooked a 1.5# london broil that was almost 2" thick on my small egg at 750° for 3/3/4 and it had a nice seared exterior and a red center. You obviously are talking about a slab of meat there to go 20 to 30 minutes ay that temp. I wasn't trying to start a pi**in contest!

• Tim M
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]Like I said in the original post, Cooking times are guides and that is all. You make it sound like I have a stop watch while cooking(a polder on long cooks I do use). I hate saying 4-4-5 because some may think it is that way and you can't vary it. Some folks like well done - some like raw. Sometimes I do the same slab-o-meat and it cooks in 20 min and next time 25 min. When I use my small I use about 550 deg since 700 is too hard to hit with it and 550-600 works as well on it - the coals are closer to the food. I cook to a desired meat temp - I gave up tring to judge by times or looks. [p]Tim