Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chinese style roast pork

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any ideas/recipes on how to do Chinese sytle roast pork - those thin, red strips of roasted pork that are chopped to bite size pieces? - what cuts are best to use, marinades/spices, at what temp., for how long, or to what internal temperature, direct/indirect, etc. [p]Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.[p]Thanks,

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    NYFerg,
    My wife does a similar dish in the oven, and uses a spice packet from the Asian market. This one I have in my hand is Noh of Hawaii (brand) and is called Chinese Barbecue....Char Siu Seasoning Mix. It can be mixed with water as a marinade (or maybe Sake...just thought of this), or it can be used as a dry rub. The ingredients are sugar, powdered soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, the ever elusive "spices", and red no. 40.[p]I have also seen recipes floating around for doing it yourself char-siu, but not sure how authentic the recipes are. I have tried this packaged version on oven broiled pork, and it was very good. There are some unique spices in it that I cannot identify.[p]You have inspired me to give this a shot. I will probably try this with strips of boston butt, or another cut with some fat. Slice maybe 1/4 inch thick strips, marinate, fold onto on skewers, and grill. I have done skewered strips of butt before, and cooked them at 275 direct flipping every 15 minutes for maybe 45 minutes...or until well browned (or red!!).[p]You could probably use strips from a pork loin, but with the lean meat, you would want to grill much hotter...400-500, just until done (10 minutes or so).[p]Hope this give you some ideas....it has me!
    Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]Country style ribs would probably be a great cut for this.

• Nature Boy
    Dang. You got me thinking about this! Another idear.[p]3/4 inch thick strips of boston butt, marinated and laid flat on the grid indirect at 375-400 until fork tender. Finish direct for a few minutes if not crusted to your liking. Probably take a couple hours.[p]I bet this stuff would be great on ribs too.
    Thanks again for getting the ticker in me 'ead goin.
    Off to get some pork now.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    BluesnBBQ,
    I was thinking of that too! Especially if they aren't cut too fat. Yowza!
    About time for another barbecue get together for us DCites.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    NYFerg, Are you talking about those round slivers of pork that are in Chinese bbq pork dishes, and in the Bo-Bo Trays, or served over those little hibatchi gizmos, with the bright red outer coating on the meat? Is so, that sounds like Chinese Barbecued Pork, and I just happen to have done this on the Egg. For the marinade/coating:
    - 1/4 cup soy sauce
    - 2 tablespoons dry red wine
    - 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    - 1 tablespoon honey
    - 2 teaspoons red food coloring (where that bright red comes from, but is optional. Is for eye appeal only)
    - 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    - 1 green onion cut in half
    - 1 clove garlic crushed
    - 2 whole pork tenderloins (about 12 oz each)[p]Combine soy sauce, wine, sugar, honey, food coloring, cinnamon, onion and garlic in a large bowl. Add pork, turning tenderloins to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight, turning meat occasionally.
    Drain pork, reserving marinade. Place tenderloins on a rack over a baking pan or aluminum pan. Put in pre-heated Egg that is riding about 325-350. Turn and baste meat with reserved marinade about every 10-15 minutes until cooked through, about 45 minutes or so. If you want a more grilled finish, put direct on grill for last 5 minutes or so, flipping once to get nice diagonal grill marks on each side of the tenderloins.
    Cut into diagonal slices after letting rest a few minutes.
    Good hot or cooled.
    Qfan[p]

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Nature Boy,[p]Actually the flap on the back of spares that I cut off will work well. I cooked up 6 of them on sticks this past weekend, but not with Char Siu seasonings. Just soy sauce, honey, and a little rub. There is one over at Ray's page that Qsis posted sometime back, but I have not tried it. The link for it is below.[p]Zip

[ul][li]Char Siu Chinese Marinade (Paul Kirk)[/ul]
  • BBQfan1,[p]Yes. I'm thinking of the the Chinese Barbecued Pork. It's a real favorite in my house - wife and kids love it. I've been thinking it would be a nice change from the usual smokey things I've been doing. Sounds like you have a real good one here. Can't wait for the weekend now - going to give a go. Thanks.

• Zip,
    Thanks for the link. I'll definately give it a try - if Nature Boy doesn't beat me to it![p]This and the one from Qfan above should do me well this wkend. Thanks again,

• Nature Boy,[p]While you are on the line -- I finished up the bag of "Cowboy Lump" and was really quite pleased. There was only one perfectly square piece and it seemed to burn with the rest. There were a surprising number of large pieces of lump throughout the bag. I would buy this again at $10 for 20lb bag.
  • NYFerg,[p]Found this recipe. Follow link below. Have not tried it, so I can't say how it is. But the ingredients sound about right. Hoi Sin sauce can be found in the oriental section of the market. I use Lee Kum Kee brand. I think this brand can be found nationally. Hawaiian salt is just kosher salt.[p]Randy Y
    http://gohawaii.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.si.edu/folklife/vfest/hawaii/recipes.htm#adobo

• Nature Boy
    Hi Paulette.
    That is good news, as my lump supplies (several brands) are nothing but scraps. A big lump run will hopefully shape up! Wess? MikeO? GWW? Still interested in making a Landover MD run?[p]Thanks for the report.
    Best
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com