Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone ever cooked a brisket this way!!!!

Options
Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my egg for about a year and about the only thing I have not tried is a brisket. [p]A buddy of mine went to Austin this past weekend and on Saturday stopped at his old college BBQ joint.[p]He asked them how they did their brisket and they said they rub it, then GRILL it for 45 minutes to an hour per side. They then take it off grill and foil it. Then for another 10 hours they put it in the oven at 225 degrees.[p]He tried it Labor Day and said it came out great. Very tender, yet it had a good smoked taste and nice bark on it.[p]Has anyone else tried a brisket this way?[p]Thanks as always, Frank

Comments

• Carolina Wizard
    Options
    Franco,
    Never cook a brisket this way! This recipie is wrong in the worst way. They left out the part about cooking on the Big Green Egg. [p]Only when I've done the potentially tough chunk of beef, I reversed the method as suggested by others that had been there and got the T shirt. Which was to cook and smoke the prepared brisket until the temp reaches 175 degrees or so, then baste well, wrap tightly with foil and continue cooking untill the internal temp. reaches about 205 for at least 1/2 hour. Then enjoy! [p]Carolina Wizard[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Franco,
    i tried wrapping one in foil for the finish once, and was not pleased with the texture. To me, it seemed a bit like pot roast...though it did have a great flavor. If you do try this method, make sure that you have tried one low and slow, without the foil, for the duration, without opening the lid. Compare the results, and see which you prefer. [p]Smoke on.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Franco, Barbecue places in Austin TX don't stay in business long if they are turning out cr*p every day, so there must be something to this method, if it is truly what they employ. After all, you said it was your buddy's bbq hangout of choice from college. Having said that, mass produced que usually can't equal the one laboured-over slab you nurse to completion on your home smoker either. Bottom line, the finished product is probably a little like pot roast, as NB described, but the flavour would be fine and make for tender slices in a brisket sandwich.
    I can remember back about 5 years ago when I thought that boiling ribs and then grilling on a Ducane grill with mequite chips loosely wrapped in foil was top shelf quality que! At that stage of my development, it was. Even with the Egg for 2 years, Denise and my parents are still saying that each subsequent rack of ribs is 'your best yet!'. The only way to improve with each cook is to be open to any and all ideas, whatever the source and whichever method is being utilized. To that end, I'm hoping that the best bbq I cook is the last thing that I've done or will do. To become married to one method, recipe, seasoning or even one cooker is to risk becoming stagnant, and we're all still too young for that!
    Qfan