Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak n Shake chili - a knock off recipe

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any fans out there of the chili made by the restaurant chain founded in IL and now spread to the full Midwest and down South as well might want to try this knock off recipe. I gave it to Gfw a few years ago and he has it on his site. OTOH since Gordon no longer has his BGE he doesn't come around here anymore so newbies may never see it. Anyway I think it's a darn close to the real stuff if you adhere to the no substitutions suggestion. It's really a quick to make and serve dish that's simple![p]Knock Off Steak N Shake Chili by RRP
________________________________________[p]MOST IMPORTANT - NO SUBSTITUTES
• 1/2 pound lean ground round
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 16 ounce can of Bush's chili hot beans
• 1/2 can water
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 1/4 teaspoons Spice Island chili con carne seasoning
• 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/16 teaspoon allspice
• beef tenderloin suet (optional fat but go easy on it) [p]Brown beef (and suet) in skillet chopping occasionally until done. During the browning add the salt, pepper and paprika. Add beans, scrape can well, and water. Stir in the remaining spices. Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. This chili is best fresh as it tends to thicken when refrigerated and seems to lose its oomph within a couple days.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP,
    Started reading and stopped when I got to "beans". May want to start over.[p]Hello from Texas.

• RRP
    Options
    Hdeathstar,
    LOL - I understand that about you Texans - but my point is this is a knock off of a popular chili served elsewhere!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Hdeathstar,[p] That BBQ you have there in Texas is the weirdest tasting PORK I ever ate, but I ate it anyway.. :)[p] Try it you might actually like it.[p]
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    RRP,[p]Used to be a Chili Parlor in downtown Austin (may still be there) that had a sign on the wall:[p]"No Dr. Pepper, no Catchup and NO DAMN BEANS"[p]Good eggin'
    -paul

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Paul:

Yep, they are still there!!!

-Jeeves
    (Arboretum Area)
  • Jeeves
    Options
    THANKS!!

Yumm – I’m saving that one, minus the beans! I usually add some chopped brisket to my SnS chili!

I love SnS. It took them awhile to follow us down here to Austin (from St. Louis – Grew up in Florissant). I still go up there frequently to visit family, friends, and get some good eats!
    If I remember the bbs days correctly, isn’t insight over in Edwardsville/Collinsville area?
    Now, if you could please send me some Lions Choice and sliders, I would be most appreciative!

20070218_sns.jpg

Oh, this pic is from a drive back from Chicago to Florissant on 2/18/07. The location is Lincoln, North of Springfield. (Despite the cold, we were craving a nice smooth shake!)

-Jeeves
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    wannabebackinTexas,[p]I'm with ya, except the "No Dr. Pepper" part. [p]Smokey
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    As Dean from Dean's World states (and with which I agee):[p]"...Chili is a Texas creation, a Texas invention, and a Texas tradition. It was created as a cheap food for cowboys, one that could easily be made while riding the hard trails, and that would also travel well. In other words, it was quick and easy to make, but could be made to serve lots of people over a long period of time. Following the herds across country, a group of cowboys could start a pot of chili, and continually add meat scraps and fat to the pot over the weeks as they traveled--and it only got better as the trail went on.[p]Indeed, one of the secrets to good chili is that the longer you cook it, the better it gets, and if you let it cool down and reheat it, it continues to be not just edible, but to improve with time.[p]The great problem is that most benighted souls believe foolish things about chili. Having never actually eaten the real thing, they often have the foolish notion that chili has noodles in it, a cringeworthy notion to say the least. However, almost as bad is the odd notion that chili is supposed to have beans in it. Or tomatoes.[p]Think about this for a minute. Chili is cowboy food. Food made by and for cowboys traveling across the ranges away from civilization, in the 1800s. There were no canned tomatoes, and certainly no fresh tomatoes on the trail. There were no pasta makers. And there certainly weren't any beans--beans require you to soak them in water for a day or more and then boil them for hours more just to make 'em edible. Chili is fast, easy food, and is made up of nothing but ingredients you can travel with safely without refrigeration, or scrounge while you're on the trail. That really means only a few things: meat, chili powder, and possibly a few wild leaks, onions, or a little garlic. Maybe a few wild vegetables on top of that, but damned little.[p]So let me set y'all straight: real chili has no pasta, no beans, and if it has tomatoes, onions, green papers, or any of that in it, it ain't got much. All that other stuff may make for an interesting flavor, but the more of it you add, the further away you are from real chili. Maybe you like that other stuff, but I'd encourage you to at least once try the real, authentic chili, just so you understand what you're really doing when you throw in frills like beans, tomatoes, or [shudder] pasta.[p]Here's how to make real cowboy chili. Start with the following ingredients:[p]2 lbs coarsely ground beef (not lean!) 2 ounces of animal fat (bacon grease or beef suet--the pork fat's a little better) 2 cloves minced garlic 1/2 cup chopped onion 3 tablespoons chili powder (McCormick's is authentic enough, although you can mix your own with cumin, ground red pepper, oregano, cumin, black pepper and salt if you're aggressive enough)[p]Yes, that is the entire ingredient list![p]First, render your pork or beef fat--basically, fry it over a low heat until it melts. An iron skillet is best if you want to be really authentic. Remove the rinds from the fat, if any. Then add in your ground beef--again, course ground is better. Brown the beef over medium heat, just so it's nice and even--do not overcook! The meat should be nice and tender is all. As it browns, go ahead and throw in the chopped garlic and onions.[p]Do not, repeat, DO NOT drain ANY of the fat off.[p]Once the beef's brown all around, slowly start sprinkling in the chili powder, stirring smoothly and steadily as you sprinkle it in. Once it's all in, slowly reduce the heat, and let it simmer at a very low, mildly bubbling heat for at least two hours. Check and stir occasionally.[p]Add a moderate--I said moderate!--amount of salt to taste. You shouldn't need much though![p]You'll notice the consistency changes rather dramatically over time. It will get thicker and thicker. As long as the heat is low and you have already mixed in the chili powder thoroughly you can add a little water if it gets too thick, but keep in mind that it's supposed to be thick--real chili fans will tell you that a spoon should stand up if you stick it into a bowl of real chili![p]That's it. Two hours and it's ready to eat. However, the longer it cooks, the better it'll be. Four hours, six hours, no problem. Start it in the morning and eat it for dinner, no problem. Refrigerate and reheat the next day, even better still. You can't cook it too long.[p]Sound boring? You'll be blown away with how good it is. Bonus: if you're on a low-carb diet, you should notice that this is a very low-carb recipe. A cup or two of this stuff should not mess up anyone's low-carb diet."

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    BurntRaw,[p] For the record I don't make chili with beans or pasta.. However, my point is still valid. What ya'll call BBQ we call Barbecue Beef.[p] BBQ is PORK. However, I will eat Texas Barbecue. Just like I will eat Kansas City Barbecue and Arkansas Barbecue :)[p] Now if your making beans they should be baked, have a fair amount of Molasses in them and served with Brown Bread, I still eat what these Southerner call BBQ Beans. Even eat Cowboy beans from time to time.
  • Not Sirius
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    I've enjoyed real Texas Chili, both with coursely ground beef and with cubed beef, but no tomatoes or beans. But what folks enjoy in other parts of this mixing bowl of ours can be mighty tasty, too. The Greek immigrants in Cincinatti who flavored their ground beef coincoction with cinnamon, cloves and allspice and served it over spaghetti came up with something mighty good. As for Steak and Shake's chili, I've tried it and I don't think it's anything special, but if they want to call it chili, there's no great harm done. Let's focus on more important things, like barbecue.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    you should go to a newengland chili cookoff, you will see things like this lobster chili which actually sounds real good to me. i like chili all sorts of ways, similar to how i like all kinds of pizza. we actually make the beans to eat as beans and then later add the chili ingrediants for a change of pace. we ruin everything with beans, chili with beans, italian tomato sauce with beans, beans on a traditonal pulled pork sandwich (actually this would be a bean with pork sandwich), and this here lobster stew with beans. i might make this someday. i do like chili straight up like you posted, but i think most people excluding texas would prefer some beans

[ul][li]lobster chili[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    there is something i havent seen in a while is canned brown bread, ill have to go look for some

fukahwee maine

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks for the post, I'm going to try it, AZ
    PS I'm from TEXAS

• clane47
    clane47 Posts: 5
    Options
    RRP,
    Steak 'n Shake's chili is made by Castleberry. Since all of Castleberry's products have been recalled due to botulism poisoning and their plant completely shut down, I'm not sure what Steak 'n Shake is using for chili these days![p]Regards,
    Chuck (if the chili has no beans it's hot dog sauce) Lane[p]

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    fishlessman,[p] I have the recipe :)

• fishlessman
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    if i remember the stuff is steamed in the can, is that how its done. my recipe says open can, toast butter and add beans cooked with hot dog sections. i would like that recipe you have, brown bread is good. probably not as big down south or out west, more like a dessert for hot dogs and beans

fukahwee maine

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Boston Brown Bread
    from the 1944 addition of The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book[p]1 c rye or white flour
    1 c corn meal
    1 c course whole wheat flour
    3/4 tbsp Baking Soda
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 cups Molassas
    2 c sour milk or 1 3/4 c sweet milk
    1 c raisins (optional)[p]Thoroughly mix dry ingredients, add molassas and milk. stir until well mixed. and fill well-greased mold not more then 3/4 full (A can will do for mold) Cover Closely and place on a trivet in a kettle containing boiling water. Allow water to come half way up around the mold. Cover and steam 3 1/2 hours, keeping the water at boiling point. Add more boiling water as necessary. Take from water, remover cover, and set in slow oven (300 degs.) for 15 minutes to dry off.[p]Remove from mold. Cut with string while hot, by drawing string around bread, crossing and pulling ends. [p]Makes 2 loaves

• RRP
    Options
    clane47,
    maybe their canned chili is - but what they serve in the restaurant is made fresh daily - or so said a corporate spokesman on the news. I believe it too because I had some Saturday andit was the same stuff I've grown to love over the last 41 years! BTW I made a double batch of it last night and fresh was so much richer tasting than the left over I reheated for lunch today.

• RRP
    Options
    AZ Traveler ,
    Thanks for the open mind - it just happens to be a popular item back here in the Midwest. BTW like I just said to Chuck Lane ...I made a double batch of it last night and fresh was so much richer tasting than the left over I reheated for lunch today. In fact in the future I only intend to make a single batch and eat it all at one setting - cauz something gets lost somewhere overnight - guess that's why the restaurant makes their new every day - same reason.

• BurntRaw
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Lobster Chili?[p]Actually looks pretty good - except them dam beans (and I don't say that because I am a purest or any such crap like that; it is just that I don't like beans in any type of soup - but that's just me. Like CW, I like my beans baked).[p]Wonder how the Lobster Chili would be without the beans?

• BurntRaw
    Options
    Oh come on you're Not Sirius.[p]I agree...
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    thanks, will make that the next time i make up some beans

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    great nrtherns are a pretty mild white bean, you might be surprised how they taste in a dish like that, not your typical kidney or navey, more like a mild sweet yellow eye. lots of different tasting beans out there. i would probably swap them out for yellow eyes anyways. beans beans beans

fukahwee maine

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    BurntRaw,[p]You forgot one thing....DrPepper was invented in TX!!!!
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    RRP,
    this is true and in fact, I've been told the canned castleberry version tastes nothing like what you get in the restaurant. I prefer to make my own but thanks for the recipe.

• clane47
    clane47 Posts: 5
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,[p]Well, I'm glad I was wrong! I just assumed the chili they served was the same as what they sold in the cans. Personally, I love Steak 'n Shake's food, especially the burgers![p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• RRP
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,
    well it stands to reason any meat sitting in a can on a shelf has to have preserves and whatnot chemicals to keep it from spoiling. Personally I wouldn't try it if they gave me a can! BTW Tim, did you see my retraction/warning that this recipe is best served hot right then - something gets lost after storage - that wasn't just last night's experience again - but every time. Try it sometime fresh and compare for yourself to S-n-S it's so easy to fix. BTW the only place in Peoria where I can find the HOT Bushes beans is WM.

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    The best Chili is from the Coney Island hot dog places. Nice and thick. Also the loose hamburger meat in a hotdog bun with chili mustard and onion. I wish I could figure out how to make that chili. Any Detroiters know what i'm talking about?
  • Jeeves
    Options
    wannabebackinTexas,[p]YEP, I'm proud to say, it's still there. With all the development going on down there and a number of customers fighting for them to stay alive, they have become a 'landmark tradition'.[p]Me thinks I'll stop by there this weekend :)[p]-Jeeves
    Arboreturm/Round Rock Areas

• Jeeves
    Options
    20070218_sns.jpg
    <p />RRP,
    Hmm I’ll save that. I sometimes add some chopped brisket to my Steak ‘n Shake chili.[p]I love SnS. It took them a while to follow us down here to Austin (from St. Louis – I grew up in Florissant). I still go up there frequently to visit family, friends, and, of course, get some good eats![p]If I remember the bbs days correctly isn’t insight over in Edwardsville/Collinsville area?[p]Now, if you could please send me some Lions Choice and (White Castle) sliders, I would be most appreciative![p]Oh, this picture is from a drive back from Chicago to St. Louis on 2/18/07, Location is Lincoln, North of Springfield. Despite the cold, we were craving a nice smooth shake![p]-Jeeves
    Austin