Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Spatchcocked_chicken.jpg
<p />Many thanks to The Naked Whiz for bringing this spatchcocked chicken to my attention. I tried this for the first time this evening. I got two "best ever" comments from the wife and sister in law. I held steady at 350 on a raised grid with no heat shield, cooked the bone side 25 min and flipped once to cook the meat side 25 min. This had to be the juiciest chicken we ever devoured.[p]And the best part is it cooks in under an hour.[p]Carl T

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Carl T,
    Nice work! I did a butterflied cornish hen (I prefer the word "butterflied"...."spatchcocked" sounds like a penalty for a pedophile). Man it was good. Something about that direct fire...as djm5x9 ha been telling us for years.
    Happy week.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • char buddy
    Options
    Carl T,[p]The first and last time I did spatchcocked I screwed up my temps and times and it was a little underdone. I've done butterflied chicken with no problem, but for some reason the fancy spatchcock business defeated. Think I'll try it again later thi week.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    char buddy,
    Me too! Same thing happened. My Beer Butt Birds always come out perfect and I HATE to screw around with perfection. However...I hate to be in a rut. So I'll try a butterflied (spatchcocked, whatever) bird again, on a higher grill. It does look pretty funky!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Gretl,
    I just spatchcocked chickens number 9, 10, 11 and 12 yesterday. So far, 12 perfect chickens. My website has my "recipe". It has never failed me and everyone who has eaten one of the 12 chickens has raved about how tender and moist it is. Even my 16 year old hard to get along with teenage son was wild about it. Haven't heard him say so much since he was 12!

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Website[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz