Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Help with My First Contest (Maybe)

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You can look at the link below for the rules. Amateur Contest, $10 to enter, so it is basically free.[p]The biggest issue is that you can't start cooking until 6am the day of the contest. Turn in is at 2:30. Roughly 8 hours of cooking time. Enough time to do Ribs and Chicken, not enough for Brisket and Butts. I don't even know if I would have space to do everything. You don't have to enter in all categories, but here they are:[p]* vegetables/fruit - Maybe Pineapple
* chicken - whole chicken presenting 2 breasts and 2 leg quarters I can do yard bird
* BBQ sauce - never made any so probably not this category.
* Pulled Pork shoulder - Time issues, so prolly not, but I would like to try. Can it be done in 8 hours? Really 7 and that is rushing to get the egg stabilized at 250 in 1 hour.
* Ribs one full slab - I can do this, 2 full slabs in the Large.
* Brisket - Present the whole piece for judging. I have only made Brisket once and it wasn't very good - So I will probably stay out of this category too.[p]Here is what I have:
1 Large
1 Small BGE
Large selection of smoking woods
Cowboy Lump
Royal Oak Lump[p]Can any of you Contest experts PLEASE help me with my time line? Generally I just put stuff on the grill and when it's done, it's done. I have never really been concerned with time. I also don't know what is feasible to fit on my available space.[p]The chicken is like 1.5 hours, I can manage that. but I should cook 2 standing up in the small? Do a small butt on the large (bottom grate) and 2 slabs of ribs on the extended rack? I have SOOOOOO many questions.[p]Help...[p]E

[ul][li]http://www.flintfarmersmarket.com/PRIDErules.pdf[/ul]

Comments

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    I wish you the best of luck. I do believe they we bought our eggs around the same time and from seeing some of your food posts you should have no problem. I always do my pulled pork at 225 grate but if you bump it up to 275/300 maybe a small 3-4 boneless butt would get done in time. Anyway good luck and let us know how you do.[p]John

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Contact them and as about the cooking time and see if you can have your grill going but without food on til the start time. You can fudge a small picnic shoulder in this time. You'll cook it a bit hotter. Start out 250 for and hour or two then wrap in foil and kick up the heat to 350 maybe even 400 degrees. when it hits 170-175 I'd unwrap it reseason it with some rub and close up the vents some to drop the temp back to the 300ish range. You'll get your smoke flavor in the first two hours finish it unwrapped to firm up the bark and get some crunchy skin, the best part of a picnic shoulder :>) [p]FWIW I've never done one this way and yes it is not the perfect way but for the amateur category it'll play.[p]Give it a try and let us know how it works.[p]H

• HD Fatboy
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Can you prep your meat beforehand? Even though brisket is not your strong suite, I would cook one. None of them will be all that great. If you can prep before hand inject the pork and the brisket. Get your butcher to find you a brisket and butt around 4 pounds each and cook them both as described below. Wraping in foil with some liquid will braise the meat similar to a crock pot. I would consider splatchcocking the chicken. It states that grilling is ok. This does not apear to be a KCBS event and splatchock chicken will differentiate you from the crowd and won't take as long, and give you crunchy skin. You can do it on the small. You need to get a full tun in schedule and practice. You need to know how long between turn ins. As a general rule, you would get at least 30 min submissions. You can do the brisket, butt and ribs on your large with a grid extender. Do the Veggie and the Chicken on the small. Good luck.
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]We did get them at the same time, and thanks for the compliment. This is truley an amateur contest, and I'm all worked up over it! I think the small butt would be a good plan. 3#'er for 7 hours...that might work.[p]E

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Are you saying to do a small picnic instead of a butt? I have NO picnic experience.[p]Thanks - I need a list of questions to ask.[p]Here is another one - has any one ever driven with a Lit Egg? Or maybe I could ge there at 5 and roll the eggs into the parking lot at 6.[p]E
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    HD Fatboy,[p]The rules don't say if you can prep before, however I am sure you can, and I will. I don't this this is a KCBS event. I don't have any rock solid Veggie ideas. My plan was to skip the things I'm not good at, but you think I should enter. Is it because you have that much faith in the EGG? Thats funny. Also as for the time Turn in schedule, if each item get turned in in half hour increments then I have even more time for brisket and butts.[p]Thanks,
    E

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    A picnic shoulder is gonna cook essentially like a butt.[p]Driving with a burning any kinda grill sounds like a really bad idea.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]It's not a KCBS event. KCBS is 4 categories. Chicken, Ribs, Pork and Brisket and they give you a whole lot more time to cook the four..[p]For the veggies find yourself some butternut or acorn squash. Cut them in half length wise and de-seed them. In the center put a generous dollop of butter and brown sugar. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 325 indirect till soft. About an hour or so. [p]Or you can get some Asparagus and some Prosciutto. Par boil the Asparagus. You want them partly done. Remove from heat and plunge in an ice bath. [p]Wrap 4 or 5 stalks with the Prosciutto and coat with EVOO. Indirect 350 on a piece of foil bake till Prosciutto is slightly crisp. [p]If they are allowing Pulled Pork and Brisket they have to know that lo 'n' slo takes time. However, you can speed up the process. Cook at a higher temp (325) and foil when they reach 165 internal. Keep the heat high. You might want to foil them in some braising liquid to assist the finish.[p]If Bobby Flay can do ribs in 60 minutes you can do brisket in 6 hours. I believe that Emeril actually has a recipe for that. Check the food network web site and search on Emeril and Brisket.[p][p]

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]I know they are essentially the same. I just thought you were recommending a picnic over a butt.[p]For moving burning grills, I could stage in a near by parking lot and move it a block to the designated area. Not accross the state. LOL Bet that would gt em up to temp quick.
  • HD Fatboy
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]No, I am of the opinion that most of the pulled pork and briskets will be about the same, no thing to write home about. I would cook it for overall score and with the egg you have as good a shot as anyone. As for the veggies, Wolf's suggestions are good as are many others. look at some of the recipes here. That said this competition will be won or lost on the ribs and chicken. Good Luck.
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    HD Fatboy,[p]Thanks. Now I am even more nervous about my ribs and chicken skills.
  • HD Fatboy
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Sorry. not my intent. But that is why you should enter them all. Here is a a little tip, brine the beef and the pork (not in the same pot thank you for say 12 hours, rinse and pat dry the meat, rub them both wait 12-24 hours, inject them both and re rub (add extra raw sugar to the rub this time) 12-24 hours prior to the contest. Put both the brisket and the butt on @ the same time as early as possible. First 90 min @ 250 with loads and loads of smoke 30 min @ 375, Wrap both individually in HD foil with some of the injection in the foil and back o the gril. Assuming you have hit 190 internal an hour prior to turn in (if not skip this step) @ 45 min prior to turn in remove from foil and return to grill for say 20 min, pull rewrap and rest for 15 min slice, the brisket, pull the pork and turn in. All the competitors meat will be tough but with the extensive prep you may get enough flavor into it where you win IMHO, this plays to your advantage. Ribs and chicken, no problem, Just remember if you smoke the chicken Thighs 2-3 hours, Breast (I suggest bone in with skin for moisture) maybe 30-45 min. As for the ribs do the 2 step rub on the ribs and follow 3-1-1 you will do great. As for the veggies, you can do plantains, quick, tasty with a rum sauce, easy and different, somewhere around here I have a green bean casserole recipe you could cook in cupcake alum cups as individual servings that will knock your eyes out if it catches some smoke it also is quick and easy. Post back here if you want me to look up some of these.
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    HD Fatboy,[p]Man I really appreciate all the info that you just shared. I think you are absolutely correct with the brining. I was more concerned with grill capacity and mechanics. Which don't win contests. Taste and texture do.[p]1. I have to turn in a cut up chicken (2 breast halves and 2 leg quarters) Think I should cook them whole or cut up first?[p]2. Could you please check into the green been recipe? My alternative vegetable is the asparagus that was mentioned here.[p]Thanks Again.
  • HD Fatboy
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]
    Sorry, been busy. Had to work today. Had guests for dinner tonight. Hope this isn't too late. [p]On the chicken. I would do them separate brining does wonders with chicken also. Cook the thighs 2-3 hours and the breasts maybe 30 min. I would practice these as well You want them to taste the same and carry the same texture. as for the Green Bean casserole here you go:[p]This one is real easy. Go get a can of French’s Original French Fried Onion Rings and follow the instructions on the can with the following changes:[p]Use french style green beans (drained)
    Add 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce
    Add one small can of sliced mushrooms (drained)
    Add fresh cracked pepper to taste[p]Place in the middle rack with the egg between 350 and 400 and cook until warm and bubbly (I go to 210)
    Sprinkle top with the Onion Rings and return to the Egg until the onion rings are brown then serve. One key is to have meat on the egg at the same time so that the smoky meat flavor will permeate the casserole.[p]I do this on my 3 tier rack but it is easy and forgiving, smoke won't hurt it and is good. My wife did it @ Eggtoberfest last year. Will cook well with the chicken. Let me know what you think.