Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would like to know more about the mini

Kevin D
Kevin D Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,[p]While checking out the responses to the "multiple egg" posting, I noticed that many of you own mini's. I believe that I can get a pretty good deal on one right now. I would like to know it's limitations. Can you hold 300 degrees? Can you cook a small beer butt chicken? Do you separate out small lump and use it in the mini? What are your most frequent cooks? Thanks.[p]Kevin

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Kevin D,[p]Most I've used my Mini for is a checken breast or two, samll steak(s)never tried a small chicken although I'm not sure if there's enough room to sit one up on a beer can. I use whatever lump that falls out of the bucket except for the really big pieces.
    Mine was a gift and I like it but I've never really used it like I use Mr. Big.
    carey

• Kevin D,
    I have done a 3 lb whole bird in my mini. Fit perfectly, and came out delicious.
    My MINI has a hinge defect...but I still use it!
    I wrap the grill in aluminum foil before I put the bird on so that flame doesnt charr the bird.
    ST

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Kevin D,[p]When it's just the wife and I, I use the Mini for chops, steaks, bs breasts, brats, pork tenderloin (our favorite). I also like to grill corn on the cob. Direct, no foil or husk. It does a wonderful job of roasting the corn. I also like to throw on some seasoned potatoe wedges direct. I grill the corn or taters while the main dish is going on the Small or Large.[p]I made a slide top for my Mini. I can hold any temp just like the other eggs.[p]Carl T
  • Carl T,
    Can you share your slide top with us?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Slide_top_for_Mini.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,[p]Here's the top I made from a 2.5 inch pipe union nut and some 3/32" aluminum sheet. It really work great. I can hold temps steady with no problem.[p]Carl T

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Carl T,[p]Nice work, and great pic. Thanks, Cornfed
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    The Naked Whiz,
    You can also use a small Egg daisy wheel with some gasket material on the inside bottom to seal off the airflow.
    JimW