Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping foods in the cooler

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is a topic that has been talked about and talked about, but I haven't seen any convo about using one of those coolers that either warms or cools, anyobdy have any experience or know anything about these types of coolers do they keep the food better, long?

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    ColoradoTonka,
    Dont know exactley what cooler you are talking about.You would have to check out the specs from the manafacture as to what internal temp is held.It would have to be a cooler that is powered up more than likely from the 12 volt accessory outlet from the car.What it costs to by an ac adaptor fdor such a unit you could buy a cube fridge.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Darnoc,[p] Most of the coolers that heat or cool are smaller because of the heating/cooling units. Plus they cost as much as a far bigger cooler.[p] You can keep food warmer longer by filling some plastic jugs with boiling water. Capping them off and putting them in the cooler. Just remember that water expands as it cools so don't fill up the jugs all the way.[p] Sturdy juice containers work well for this . Milk containers may buckle with the heat.
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]Interesting idea. This past weekend I kept butts warm for 7 hours in a cooler for a little hometown cookoff (12 teams). Triple Wrapped them in foil, then wrapped in a heated towel (heated by laying on the egg), then in the cooler. I just boiled water on a little coleman stove, and put the entire pot inside the cooler beside the butts. I reheated the water back to boiling every 1-1.5hrs. The cooler stayed VERY warm, and butt temps were still well over 150 after all that time. Ended up 2nd place butts for my first outing, so it seemed to work OK for me. :-)[p]It would have been easier (and less likely to spill) had I thought to put the water in a container. [p]I also just read about heating fire bricks in the egg, then wrapping and placing these under the food.[p]- Mike

• Celtic Wolf
    Charcoal Mike,[p] Just make sure they are wrapped good. They have a habit of burning through the plastic.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Celtic Wolf,
    Right on man.I also have used fire bricks and they do a good job.What you said brings back memories of what I did last year.I took the raised grate out of the egg and put it on top of my 155 gallon iglo.Made the prettiest three holes you ever did see.Worse yet when it cooled down the dam nuts were to large to pull back out of the holes.Want a cooler CHEAP?

• ColoradoTonka,[p]If the cooler is used for warming at a KCBS contest, the power for the warming must be wood, charcoal, or wood pellets. Anything else is not legal!![p]Dave

• Celtic Wolf
    Old Dave,[p] Tru Dat!! [p]Hmmmm let's see the burning pellets boil water. The steam from the boiling water turns a generator... Hmmmm you gonna need a bigger site!![p]
  • Old Dave,
    So the boiling water I used would not have been considered legal? [p]How about if you use the fire bricks heated in the cooker?[p]Thanks![p]- Mike

• Celtic Wolf
    Charcoal Mike,[p] As long as the COOLERWARMER is not powered by gas or electric you are fine.[p] If they are then this can be considered a cooking vessel and you'd be disqualified.[p] You aren't boiling water in the device. However, were you to reheat a turn-in in that boiling water you'd be disqualified. unless you boiled the water over wood, charcoal or pellets. It's a fine line, but a legal one.
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]Much appreciated. Thanks![p]- Mike