Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can Anyone Help

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to cook sweet potatoes in the BGE? Thanks

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    CalTex,[p]I like 350º, naked, brushed with oil, indirect until done. The timeframes vary with the size of the taters. You can wrap them in foil, split and put butter and brown sugar, cook at a lower temp, but they will only take longer. I think the last I cooked were about 10-12 oz taters and took about 45 minutes at 350º. Take a look around at GFW's Site and look at the rib reports or do a search for 'em at his site as well. He used to cook 'em all the time.[p]Ashley

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    CalTex,
    Zip has the right idea. I like to cook them as long as I can because the longer you cook them the sweeter they get.
    We quarter the lengthwise, oil them and lay them along the edge of the grill. I've had them cook as long a two hours...they looked like lumps of lump but once you took off the skin they were as sweet as anything!
    carey

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    bbcas21.jpg
    <p />CalTex,[p]I scrub them well, coat with butter, wrap in foil and put them on for 2.5-3 hrs at 250 deg while I do ribs. Slice open, add butter and cinnamon sugar -- yummy.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    CalTex, I like thie sversion that Bobby Que included with his jerked grouper.
    Jerked Grouper with Papaya Jam
    Submitted by: Bobby Que (rturkel1@tampabay.rr.com)
    From: Chef Eric weber of Sutherland Cafe in Palm Harbor, Florida
    Fresh Grouper is marinated in a homemade jerk sauce, grilled and served over grilled honey buttered sweet potatoes. The grouper is dressed with a simple homemade papaya jam. [p]Ingredients:
    1 6-8 ounce piece fresh Grouper filet per person, skinless and boneless. Can substitute other white, firm fish such as Orange Roughy
    Jerk Rub
    2 TBS thyme
    3 bunches scallions (use white and equal part of green)
    2 TBS black pepper
    1 inch fresh ginger, cut in to small pieces
    2 Habenero peppers (let her rip!)
    1 TBS salt
    2 TBS allspice
    2 TBS fresh lime juice
    2 TBS soy sauce
    ½ tsp nutmeg
    1 Pinch ground cloves
    1 Pinch cinnamon
    Preparation Directions:
    Prepare the Jerk rub with above ingredients in a food processor (except for the Grouper).
    Use 2 tablespoons of jerk rub with 1 tablespoon of oil and coat the Grouper well in a suitable container. Let sit in refrigerator for 1-2 hours (or longer).[p]Prepare Honey Butter:
    Combine 2 tablespoons of honey with
    2 tablespoons of unsalted butter and salt to taste.
    This is used to coat the sweet potato slices (see below) prior to grilling. Too much of a coat can cause flame-ups in the BGE.
    Sweet potatoes:
    • Allow 2-3, ½ inch, skinless slices per person.[p]Prepare Keylime Papaya Jam:
    Combine
    2 cups fresh papaya with skin off (may substitute other fleshy fruits such as nectarine, peach, apricot or guava for this)
    1 cup sugar
    ¼ cup Keylime juice
    ¼ cup water
    Simmer mixture while whisking off and on for 30-45 minutes until jam is thickened and smooth.
    Refrigerate until use. [p]Cooking Directions:
    Bring BGE up to about 350 degrees. Oil the grate.
    Put honey-buttered (see above) sweet potato slices around edge of grill and turn occasionally until cooked soft with nice grill marks (about 5 minutes).
    Add Grouper to Egg. Put the side with the skin marks up prior to first turn. Try to cook the fish to your likeness with one turn and serve it with the flesh side up. It should have nice grill marks. Cook it for 5 minutes per side and dwell until done to your liking. Do not overcook. Chef Eric uses a skewer to test doneness. If you prefer not to flip, you're OK to just leave it for 10 minutes.
    You can use a fork or knife and check the thickest part of fish to judge the juices and doneness in the middle of the fish. [p]Special Instructions:
    Plate the sweet potatoes.
    Put a slice of Grouper on the sweet potatoes.
    Put a generous dollop of the Papaya jam on the fish
    Enjoy.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim M,
    Been seeing a lot of those Monarch butterflies around. Neve seen one of those Babyback butterflies.[p]Cute.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M,
    Perfect and simple. Thanks a lot.