Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some remarks about preparing for a big party

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC00048.jpg
<p />For a large party yesterday (held at someone else's house), I made pulled pork a week ago, pulled it and froze it doused with apple juice and some Elder Ward's Piedmont Sauce, in FoodSaver bags. I was also responsible for cooking the ears of corn.[p]Saturday I did defrosted the pork and made a big batch of the Piedmont sauce. On Sunday morning I put the pork in a baking dish, added Classic Coke and more sauce, foiled it, and warmed it at 250¼ till I was ready to leave. I made the slaw using iabbqguy's My Wife's Slaw, which I'd sampled a few days before. It's creamy, sweet, and mild--perfect IMO with the Piedmont sauce. [p]At the same time, I soaked 24 ears of corn still in the husk in a big tub of water for an hour. Lit the Small and Large Eggs to 350¼, put the corn on the regular grid and a second layer on raised grids, and closed the lids. I set a timer hanging around my neck for every 10 minutes and shifted the corn around as needed till all were blackened. It really didn't take long--I'd guess they were all done within 25 minutes. I threw the ears into a medium-large cooler as they were done. When all were finished I rolled the cooler (a wheeled cooler with a handle to pull is the way to go!) to my car and loaded everything up. I put the foiled baking dish in an open carton in case it sloshed.[p]I also brought a collapsible rig that holds a trash bag upright, and when I arrived, we set up the trash bag in its holder on the patio, taped a sign "HOT CORN INSIDE" on the cooler top and left it (closed) right next to the trash bag. Whenever that cover was lifted there was steam coming out of it the whole afternoon! It was a huge success, and the few uneaten ears will be cut clean for salad.[p]Sorry, no pics. I had to use all five hands for what I was doing.

Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I swear, I don't know how that picture got in there! I did not insert any pictures in this post! If anyone knows about the Photobucket gremlins, please let me know how they get in.

Judy in San Diego
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]Awesome girl! You're going to put a bunch of us "old timers" to shame the way you've taken to the Egg! Keep on posting!
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    just be lucky it wasnt a picture of something else!!!

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Sundown,
    Thanks for your good words! I've had the Eggs for over 5 years--I feel like an old timer by now. Just can't eat in the quantities you other old timers seem to do. So I "taste" vicariously through the descriptions and pictures these great people post.

Judy in San Diego
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    What was the slaw recipe?

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    Where did you buy the collapsible thingie that you can put garbage bags into. Someone I know is looking for one of those.[p]Thanks,
    Gwen

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    I found one at Wal Mart by the RV Supplies.

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    "I made the slaw using iabbqguy's My Wife's Slaw"[p]Do you have a link to the slaw recipe?
    I could not find it.[p]Spacey

• bobinaz
    bobinaz Posts: 44
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]Where's your next party at!!! Can I come???
    Judy... you really have the touch of cooking AND organizing! Way to go!!

• Unknown
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    I'm glad that recipe worked out for you.[p]Spiff and Busterdog,
    This is the recipe I posted a few days ago.[p]Cole Slaw Dressing
    6 heaping tablespoonfuls of Miracle Whip
    ~1/2 cup of regular granulated sugar
    ~1/2 cup of 1/2 and 1/2 cream
    Mix the Miracle Whip and sugar together well and let sit in the fridge. I think she will do this up to 2 hours or so ahead of time. Right before you are ready to eat, mix the 1/2 and 1/2 in with the Miracle Whip/sugar combination. Add to shredded cabbage right before serving and toss well.
    This is about the right amount for one bag of the pre-shredded cabbage.[p]

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    iabbqguy,
    I actually cut back to 2/3 of the sugar, because these people aren't used to sweet slaw. Lots of them had slaw even if they didn't eat the pulled pork. Lots of vegetarians here in So. California!

Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    I got it at RiteAid drugs, so you can check places like drug chains, WalMart, KMart (now called Sears Essentials here), etc. It's got four legs that fold in to the middle. I also have a leaf/trash bag holder that pops open upward and smashes down into a disk secured flat with velcro tabs, which would work just as well and is lighter in weight.

Judy in San Diego