Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatched chicken

Options
Slim
Slim Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what are the times and temps? also can i do indirect or direct? thanks!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    slim,[p]Ahh, a subject near and dear to my heart. Tomorrow I will spatchcock chickens 9, 10, 11 and 12. You can see how I do it at my website:[p]The Naked Whiz's Website[p]Look for the recipes page, and then look for "Dead Simple Spatchcocked Chicken". Photos, directions, everything you need to master art of spatchcocking.[p]Basically, I raise the grid up on firebricks, cook direct at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, turning once halfway through. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    slim,[p]Let me add a few comments also. If you visit the website, you'll see that I raise the grid up on firebricks. I don't know if this is important to the results. I do it because it makes turning the chicken over much easier than if you have to reach down into the egg.[p]Second, I use fresh Harris Teeter 3.5 to 4 pound chickens. Again, I don't know if this is important to the results, but I have done 8 birds and everyone was DRIPPING with moisture and tender as can be. I use this size chicken because I know that the 45 minute time works for this size.[p]Finally, personally, I recommend not brining the chicken until after you have tried doing this once. Save yourself the trouble of brining unless you want to add some more flavor to the meat. I seriously doubt that brining a spatchcocked chicken cooked this way adds any moisture to the meat. If you find the bird is dry or something, then brine away, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that you won't find it necessary. Good luck!![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Slim
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, thanks i have no firebricks could i use the platesetter or a drip pan setup? what would this do to times and temps?? and i have that page of yours allready bookmarked thats why i am doing it!
    thanks again

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    slim,
    I've never tried them indirect, so I don't know what it would do. Certainly, it should lengthen the cooking time, but I dont' know how long. Gotta Home Depot near you? They sell firebrick sometimes. It is near the cinder blocks. I bought big ones and split them with a masonry chisel. Another choice (and I'll bet Tim or someone can post a photo if you ask) is to get a second grid and attach it to the first via bolts and washers and nuts. And BGE sells a grid extender which does the same thing. The fire brick was the cheapest solution, though, at 80 cents a brick or so. I bought mine in Smithfield, NC on the way to my son's American Legion game this summer. Spent $5 in Arby's on dinner and then my last $5 on some fire bricks in Home Depot. Had to borrow $4 to get into the game![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Slim
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, i guess because i live in the blast furnace that is las vegas our home depot feels no need to carry them! i think i will just try to rig something to get the second grill up some maybe a couple small drip pans on the sides thank you for the help cant wait to try it