Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic Roast results

Options
Kevin D
Kevin D Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,[p]Just got done with dinner. I put a 7.5 lb. picnic roast on for 22 hours at 210-225. It was excellent. I thought that it would taste more like pulled pork. Instead I consider it to be the best ham I've ever had. Next time I want a more smokey taste. I'll use maple lump and use more wood chips in the beginning. Once again the family is amazed at what comes off the egg. 22 hours and it looks like there was enough lump to go another six hours or more.[p]Tomorrow will be pretzels and pizza.[p]Kevin

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Kevin D,[p] I always use picnics for pulled pork -- and they always taste like it :-0 !. What did you do to this one to make it taste like a ham? What was internal temp when you finished? Did it pull or slice? Color me curious![p]MikeO
  • Kevin D
    Options
    MikeO,[p]The internal temp when I finished was 190. Perhaps it tasted like ham because it was a pre-packaged smoked picnic with "natural" flavoring. I did pull it. No way it would have sliced. It was delicious, but I lost a bet to my wife when she said that it would taste more like ham than my prior boston butts.

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Kevin D.,[p] Yep, those "natural flavorings" get you every time. Normally, it's a salt solution of some kind and I bet that's what gave you the ham taste. I get fresh picnic roasts at Shopper's Food Warehouse here in VA for about $1 a pound. Gotta be careful to get a truly fresh one though -- sometimes they sit in the bin a little too long![p]MikeO[p]As a trivial aside, McDonald's puts "natural flavoring" in their fries. It's actually a small amount of meat. Since the USDA and FDA rules only make you declare specific ingredients once they hit a certain volume threshold, it's just "natural flavoring" in small quantities. Used to date a woman that was a vegetarian but loved those McDonald's fries -- mst have been the BBQer inside her crying out for help!
  • Kevin D
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Thanks. I'll try a fresh one next time. I just need to give the butcher a bit of notice. They take their picnics and butts and make sausage.[p]Kevin