Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

foodsaver question

Options
Jay
Jay Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all and thanks for the help with the Boston Butt...hard to imagine it can get better than that.[p]I borrowed an old foodsaver to package pork for a friends family. I think I would like to invest in a foodsaver myself and have a question about model.[p]There is lots in the archives and it sounds like it's hard to go wrong with any choice but I have come by two for sale[p]v750 package for $40 (plus 2.5 hour drive to get it)
v1205 package for $75[p]Would you all suggest getting one of these or should I look for the biggest-baddest-newest model out there or is hunting for a bargin a good idea with these products?[p]Jay

Comments

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Jay,
    I bought a Model 2480 at Sam's about 5 months ago, and I really like it. One feature that I would absolutely recommend is the ability to stop the vacuum process and seal immediately. This allows you to seal bread, juicy things, etc., and start the seal before the juice starts to get over the hump into the vacuum sealer or before you crush your bread. It's not quite as good a vacuum, but it isn't far off, and bread keeps really well this way. If you buy the low-end one, I'm afraid you'll be upgrading soon anyway. That's how it was for me. My 2c.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Jay,
    I would not hunt for a bargin. I have the Food Saver 2490 and it is great. I heartily recommend it.

• AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Jay,[p]I just got one, for my birthday... I got the top of the line, as it was my birthday... Model 2840... about 150.00 at Bed Bath & Beyond... I think it gives you options for moist meats vs dry stuff... I haven't used it more than one time, so I won't be much help, other than to tell you what model I got... [p]I am sure that someone else with more experience, will chime in...[p]Thanks..
    ...AnnaG...

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options

Jay: I've been through a few evolutions of the FoodSaver, and the things I appreciate most are the built-in bag cutter and the deeper channel inside to hold the open edges in place while you seal. These are only in newer models. I saw the newest model in Costco for about $125, but maybe you could find a used one on eBay.

Judy in San Diego
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    Judy that is the one I bought and I love it, like you say with the cutter and the deeper channel. It was worth the money to me. Costco has good prices on the bags also.[p]Pork Butt Mike

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    Jay,
    Sam's has the newest and best for $105 and 4 pack bags for $45.
    love mine
    Good luck