Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bar b q heritage

Options
jwirlwind
jwirlwind Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
South Carolina has a unique barbeque heritage
It is the unrecognized home of barbeque and it is the only state in the nation that boasts four indigenous barbeque saucing traditions. They are: tomato-based, mustard-based, light tomato base, and spicy vinegar and pepper.
So, when you hear all about Kansas or Memphis bar b q, it is all promotion to sell their towns. South Carolina, the real bar b q state. [p]Chef Jerry[p] [p] [p] [p][p]

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p] I know this will stir up some stuff, but we folks in North Carolina would argue that..[p] Let's just say The Carolina's and get it over with.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Celtic Wolf, Well, I won't disagree that NC folks might differ with the comment..but I will agree that Celtic..."WE" should use The Carolina's for peace sake! Born and reared in the south..and certain portions of SC do offer only the vin&pepper..then other areas..the mustard and/or red barbque...Again..stating "The Carolinas" is the nice way! But we..."those in The Carolinas" are great with our BBQ...

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Ann-Sugar Magnolia,[p] Just for the record the Vinegar based sauce is part of and always has been part of the Eastern Style NC BBQ. :)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,Now, Celtic...you were being so kind to the "guy" and you just had to state the info regarding the vin-pep sauce (NC) ..and yes, that is true. I was trying to state how kind you were with your words to include all of us but dang nabit....you just had to state the NC award! just teasing ..but yes, that is true. Eastern NC did introduce us South Carolineans...to vinegar based sauce. :) And we thank you!

• jwirlwind
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    But North Carolina is a yankee state. Hince "north".
    All jokes aside, bar b q did begin in the true South, being South Carolina. So we here in the heart of Dixie have to take credit for this wonderful food no matter what kind of sauce we put on it to screw up the taste. [p]Chef Jerry

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Besides the NC is bigger :>)[p]Calling North Carolinians Yankees......man we oughta go down their and ........wait even better, drag his but up here to Ohio and I'll show him some real Yankees with their silly ideas about bbq. :>)

• jwirlwind
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    Hey Wolf, tell me some of the things that the Yankee's up there do with bar b q. Enquiring minds want to know. [p]Chef Jerry

• dhuffjr
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    I'm not wolf :>) but, sloppy joes called bbq and crock pot cooked pulled pork come to mind. Brisket cooked overnight in a oven on the lowest temp setting I've heard of too.[p]H

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    You responded to dhuffjr. Not Wolf. You are not a Chef either. Why do you insist on posting about SC bbq every week and telling everyone where bbq started? Take your car out for a drive.
    I guess bad attention is better than none at all.[p]Mike

• jwirlwind
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Sorry if I responded to the wrong person. But you mike can kiss my ass. [p]Jerry

• jwirlwind
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    It is true that I am not a true chef. Just use the sir name for fun as I do with most of the things I talk about. I don't try to be the know it all like you Mike. Just having fun here and If someone like you is what this forum is all about, it is a sad place to be. [p]Jerry Hubbard
    Jwirlwind

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    They have medications.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    great.[p]i take no issue.[p]love,
    stike
    ..from the land of maple syrup, lobsters, baked beans, and, well, your freedom (ca 1776)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    stike,[p] Now watch it there boy. Revolutionary War was fought in the South too. Thus you have places like Colonial Williamsburg and Fredricksburg. While you'll may have started the dang war, it was Delaware, New York, and VIRGINIA that finished it.
  • stike
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    yeah. thanks, ace.
    now that you mention it, i think there actually WERE some southerners there at yorktown. couple virginia miltia brigades and a regiment of regulars.[p]there were more french fighting than southerners.[p]hahahaha[p]might have been fought there, but you can thank new york, new jersey, vermont, and the pennsylvanians. hell. i think the massachusetts and new hampshire boys were hiding behind trees.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p] Let's see besides starting the Dang War of Northern Aggression what role did South Carolina play??? Well I guess the Yankees did burn Charleston!![p] You need to check your history books, because the Mason-Dixon line runs between MARYLAND and PENNSYLVANIA, not NORTH and SOUTH Carolina. Furthermore, when an article or book refers to Carolina as the birthplace of American BBQ it IS North Carolina they are referencing. That is if the book or article is not written by a SOUTH Carolinian.[p] Even I as a transplanted Yankee knew that..

• dhuffjr
    Options
    stike,
    The South was rather Tory minded from my dim memories of Revolutionary history reading. Not a big area of interest for me and thus not something I've read tons about.

• dhuffjr
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Go west Pete, Greensboro is the location of Guilford Courthouse. A very nice walk through the woods touring that site.

• stike
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    zackly.[p]most of them had money to lose, and so didn't want to lose it.[p]

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    "The South was rather Tory minded from my dim memories of Revolutionary history reading. Not a big area of interest for me and thus not something I've read tons about. "[p]Not true.....one of the first real defeats for the redcoats was at Fort Moltrie on Sullivans Island in Charleston. The Brits tried to take the fort by crossing Breach inlet (the same inlet that the Hunnley left from in the Civil War) and were swamped. The Colonist were able to defend Charleston from a naval invasion at Fort Moltrie.