Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib cooking time

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to egg a 6lb prime rib this afternoon - indirect with a V rack and drip pan. I have searched the archives for cooking time and found that it varies from 15 minutes to 30 minutes per pound. That varies the cooking time from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours. Any advice?
Thanks in advance,
Rich[p]

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Rich Borgatti,[p]I did 13 lbs of prime rib yesterday; 2 slabs - one 6 lbs and the other 7 lbs (bone in). I like to have the dome temp between 250°F and 275°F. I pulled both racks off when the internal temp of 150°F. It took 6 hours.[p]Many fellow eggers recommend a dome temp of 350°F. I've egged prime rib at this temperature too and 25 to 30 minutes per pound does the job.[p]Puj
  • Kevin D
    Options
    Rich Borgatti,[p]You may have seen my post from this a.m. I did a 4.5 lb boneless prime rib roast yesterday. At 375 degrees I expected it to take 20 min. per pound. It actually took 30. And that was to get to an internal temp of 125, which is rare. Good luck. I would give yourself a range of 25 to 30 minutes if you cook at this temp.[p]Kevin
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Rich Borgatti,[p]At 350 deg mine worked out to 30-35 min/lb to a little over rare. Smaller ones go a little faster.[p]Tim
  • Cheryl
    Options
    Rich,
    As with most things in life and cooking...there's no one right answer. I like to do my prime ribs at 200-225F. I also like it with only garlic paste, salt, and black pepper. At this temp, 45-50 min per pound and a nice 30 minute rest results in a delish med-rare beef! [p]Keep eggsperimenting till you find your favorite method!