Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or X-Large BGE

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok - I have a family of six - soon to be seven, with three pre-teen boys. I made a trip from Lake Charles to Houston this past week and saw the BGE in person for the first time. When I look at the cooking capacity, it looks like a large would fit my needs, but for some reason, I always feel the need to buy the biggest (must be a man thing). I have not had much experience in cooking with charcoal - I don't want to bite off more than I can chew with my first BGE trying to build/keep the fire going. I bought a huge Texas smoker/grill with a firebox that seemed to take a chord of wood to keep it going - I don't want to duplicate my past mistake. [p]Any wisdom on one size over the other is appreciated? Also, any must have accessories I should consider with the initial purchase? Thanks in advance.[p]Mark

Comments

• Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    LC Que, Got my large 10 years ago or so. Last year at the eggfest brokedown and got a small. I think the large works fine. Accessories, in my opinion the placesetter is the best extra, gives lots of option for indirect, direct, pizza, bread etc. If you are handy make a table but that is definitly not needed. Check out some previous posts and they will give you line by line what you need. But if bucks ar an issue go slow.

• Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    LC Que,
    You are just probably buying your first egg, once you have it you will be looking for another!!
    I started with med, than mini to travel with, than large.
    Seems like most people on this forum have more than one.
    A platesetter is a must have for doing indirect ribs, butts etc., you wont be disappointed with any size BGE.

• Crawdaddy
    Crawdaddy Posts: 29
    LC Que,
    I pondered that same question for months before I settled on the XL last week. We are a family of four but, like you, I tend to go for the largest of anything. I also entertain frequently. You can't go wrong with either and the large will suit your needs. But I like the extra room on the XL even for small cooks. There's plenty of space for turning food and you can creat multiple cooking zones by sloping the lump. But it is one big sucker! I love it. You are about to enter an entirely new realm of joyously good cooking and eating. Enjoy!

• Crawdaddy
    Crawdaddy Posts: 29
    Carbonizer,
    I've only had my XL one week and I'm trying to decide on the second one. I'm thinking small, but the medium is mighty tempting.

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    LC Que,[p]I got the XL also. I haven't regretted that decision. I know a lot of these members will tell you the LGE is the way to go. IMO get the one you want. Cook on it often and enjoy what you are doing more so than how it comes out and you'll be as happy as I am. [p]BTW you have some good people in Lafayette who sell BGE you don't need to go to Houston. [p]Just my $0.02[p]Mike in Abita
  • Mike in Abita
    Crawdaddy,
    I haven't out grown my XL yet, but I'm thinking about the MED also.[p]I like the idea of two different temps.[p]Mike

• Mike in Abita,
    I was in Houston for a business trip and stopped by Barbques Galore. I just looked on the BGE website - they show Indoor-Outdoor Living in Lafayette. Is this who you are talking about?[p]Thanks,
    Mark

• Mike in Abita
    LC Que,
    Thats the one. I stopped by two weeks ago and they had just received a shipment. Everything was still crated up. The people I talked to were very friendly.[p]Mike in Abita

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    LC Que,[p]I have 2 XL's I use them to cater when I have to feed 50+ people. When I am cooking for my family 20+ I use one or both of the large eggs I own. When I cook for me and maybe my wife the small gets used. Just as soon as I scrape the cash together I am going to add another large and will the three large eggs instead of the XL's when I compete. [p]The large egg is the most versatile of them all. One make flaw with the XL is the plate setter. It just doesn't work well. If you plan on doing a lot of lo 'n' slo type cooking or indirect cooking this is a major setback