Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt question

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For some reason, during the night, my egg crept up in temp to almost 300. That of course, cooked the butt I was planning on serving at 3 pm way too fast. Only got 10 1/2 hours of smoke. It's currently wrapped in foil and sitting in an insulated bag. How long is it safe to keep it like that? I know at 3 pm, it'll still be hot.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Shelby,[p]Cooked food is considered safe to eat for 2 hours after its temperature drops below 140. How long the food stays above that will depend on how well insulated it is. More towels on top won't hurt. My limited experience is that foiled, wrapped in towel, and in a cooler, a big piece of meat will still be too hot to pull with bare hands 3 hours later.[p]gdenby

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Shelby,[p]I've had butts/shoulders sit in the cooler for as much as five hours and they were still too hot to pull easily. Lots of foil and lots of towels make a difference.
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Shelby,[p]May I recommend a BBQ Guru Competitor? I have no affiliation with them other than being an extremely satisfied user.[p]Here's my latest adventure with it:
    I filled my large egg with 12 lbs of Oak lump, 4 chunks of Hickory, 2 chunks of Mesquite and put two 7lb butts on yesterday at 5pm (indirect with plate setter and drip pan), with the pit probe clipped on the elevated rack that the 2nd butt was sitting on... set it at 190. Here we are 18 hours later now; the butts are at at 170F having just begun to climb again having broke through the ~160F plateau (about 6 hours in that phase). I have done nothing whatsoever, other than take about 4 quick peeks at the color of them. When it was "right" (about 8:30 this morning), I pulled them long enough to wrap'em in heavy duty foil. I am about to go crank the guru's set point up to 220 to finish them off at 190F internal. [p]That's it... no dinking with the temperature, dampers, etc... it's doing the job perfectly with no intervention required whatsoever. And I slept like a baby last night, knowing the guru was in charge. Awesome![p]TD