Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

HELP! Egg temp too high for Butt!

edited 10:43PM in EggHead Forum
Help! I'm 1 hour into smoking my first butt... and the temp keeps creeping to 300 degrees! I've looked at other posts and have put some ice cubes on grill... bottom damper is closed..top daisy wheel is slightly open.... any other suggestions? If I can't get it below 300... what does that mean to "low and slow"? Will I still be able to "pull" the pork when done?
·

Comments

• Man-egg-iac,
    I had the same problem with my first butt, I just closed all the vents for a while. It took a while I think 30 min or so. Just make sure you watch it for a while to make sure the fire dosent go out. I'm no Eggspert but I don't think 300 for a shour time will be a problem. The less you adjust the less temp chasing you will have to do.
    Good luck Jim

·
  • Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Man-egg-iac[p]Just pull earlier and wrap and rest. Should be OK.
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Man-egg-iac,
    Don't leave the bottom door closed very long or your fire will go out. Open it the thickness of a quarter and your temp will settle down, 300 is not a problem. -RP

·
  • Man-egg-iac,[p]I agree, dont leave the bottom vent shut, or your fire will go out. Open very slightly and leave the top shut it may take a while but it will settle down and having it a 300 for a bit should not hurt anything.
    ·