Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT recipe and hints please..ty

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the jalapeno peppers, cream cheese, little smokies, thinly sliced bacon...what else do I need to make these please. I know I am to be careful when cutting and removing the seeds..stuff with cream cheese, place smokie on the cream cheese,,put other half of pepper on top...wrap with a slice of bacon. Do I season? And what temp on the grill and will it be straight direct heat on what height? Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Ann-Sugar Blossom,[p]You have it right. I usually dust them with a little rub or some sort. Cook indirect at 300-350 until the bacon is crispy.[p]You can also do them with only half peppers. Fill each half with the fillings them wrap with bacon without putting the halves back together. This will make more of them and they will have less kick.[p]They are hard to mess up.
  • Fidel, Thank you. I bought numerous rubs from "Dizzy Pig" and I have many other dry rubs too...so, I will apply a rub..so, I was incorrect thinking direct heat..it is inderect..do I need a drip pan for the grease from the bacon? Again, thank you for your response..I will do mostly halves then a couple of "full blown" ABT's.

• Sugar Magnolia,[p]I recommend a drip pan, but it isn't absolutely necessary.[p]You can cook them direct, but they will need to be turned through the cook or one side may get done faster than the other and possibly burned if you're not careful. A lot of times the cream cheese may run out a bit if you get them too hot.[p]I like pulled pork or rib scraps in mine, but they are good with the smokies too.[p]
  • Fideal, Thank you for letting me know about the pulled pork or rib scraps..great idea. Will use the drip pan and indirect to prevent them from buring. Will cook them slow and turn them.

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Ann-Sugar Blossom,
    Those questions were exactly what I wanted to know, too. Please, post your results and even take some pictures! (I've finally figured out the picture thing, if you need help. It's a learning curve!)[p]Judy

Judy in San Diego
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Ann-Sugar Blossom,
    I've cooked many, many hundreds of these at my dealer's and at numerous fests and this is the combination that has received the most compliments :[p]Atomic Buffalo Turds
    by John Hall (egret)[p]Ingredients :[p]12 Jalapenos - fresh (3-3.5 inches each)
    (1) 8 ounce package of Cream Cheese
    12 oz. Bacon (regular sliced-NOT thick sliced)
    1 pack Smoked Cocktail Wieners (Lil' Smokeys)
    Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub
    Wood Chunks (Apple, Hickory, or Guava Wood work well)[p]Preparation :[p]Wash, remove stems and halve jalapenos lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. If the jalapenos are pretty fresh. you can pull the stems off fairly easy. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).[p]Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese, then top with a cocktail wiener. Put the two halves together and wrap the whole thing with a piece of bacon. Secure each end of the bacon with a toothpick.
    Sprinkle a liberal amount of DP Red Eye Express rub all over the surface of the bacon. [p]Stabilize egg at 350° with a raised grid.
    Place a drip pan on regular grid to catch the drippings.
    Put 2-3 chunks of wood on the coals and place ABT’s on the raised grid.
    Cook about 45 minutes, then turn them over to crisp up bottom side of bacon, and cook for an additional 15 minutes.[p]Allow to cool several minutes before serving.

• egret, Cooking only 24 of them tomorrow and I hope I do not burn them but can cook them until the bacon is crisp! Have a great evening! Thank you so much for the recipe.

• Ann-Sugar Blossom,
    After our first ABT's were to hot for KayNOcook I bought some Cubanelle peppers and did them the same as Egrets recipe and for those that don't like the heat from the Jalapeno they are just as good but no heat. They are usualy larger so we just put more cream cheese and little somkies inside and ya might need two pieces of bacon.
    We have had some Jalapenos not at all hot and some that set ya on fire.
    Enjoy Jupiter Jim

• Jupier Jim,
    Thank you for letting me know which pepper to substitute if these are too hot this time! Will have to get some Cubanelle peppers the next time!

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Ann-Sugar Magnolia,
    I did my first ABT's tonight. I like hot my better half doesn't. I used Anaheim peppers for hers and she really enjoyed them. See post below from Mrs Mike in Abita.[p]Happy Eggin
    Mike in Abita

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Jupiter Jim,
    According to the wife no heat that she could taste.[p]Mike