Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Tenderloin

MaryMary Posts: 190
edited 8:01AM in EggHead Forum
Folks, I am getting ready to put on two pork tenderloins. I have a fixed a raspberry chipolte sauce I found but I need to know if I should add another rub to the meat before cooking and I need advice on temp and setup. I have several Dizzy Pig choices and a rub I mixed for a whole loin I fixed. Thanks.
·

Comments

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Mary,
    I use Dizzy Pig Orginal most of the time. Good luck and show pics.[p]Mike

·
  • MaryMary Posts: 190
    Car Wash Mike ,
    I have them on -- using a rub I mixed from a forum recipe -- and they're cookin'!! [p]I don't know how to get pictures into the forum. If you can tell me, I'll try it!![p]BTW -- I am using an inverted plate setter with extender on top of cooking rack. The loins didn't lay well on the v-rack so I thought the extender would work. [p]How wrong am I in what I am doing??[p]Thanks!

·
  • HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    Mary,[p]For the next time, I'd suggest you tie the two small tenderloins into one larger piece - it allows more flexibility in cooking them. Another way is to sear at a high temp and then move to a setup like you have (indirect) for finishing.
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Mary,
    You're doing great. I never use a V-Rack with tenderloins.[p]Here is a link to post a pic.[p]Mike

[ul][li]Post a pic with the Wiz.[/ul]
    ·
    Haggis,
    Thanks for the tip. I think I should have talked with you before I started!! I have them off, wrapped in foil, and rolls in the oven!! --- however, my first temp check surprised me when I read 168!!!! I am sure they are somewhat well-done so I will know the next time.[p]I am ready for a Maverick or similar external thermometer![p]I will note your advice for future cooks![p]

·
  • HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    Mary,[p]They should still be good - pork is a forgiving meat - but let us know how they turned out. But, as I've mentioned previously on the forum, I prefer to take it off about 130 and let it rest because we prefer it slightly pink. It rises to a nice medium in about ten more minutes. And, by the way, give a thought to Qbabe's coffee encrusted version (see the Florida Eggfest recipes for the details.) I did two (four?) for Xmas and my daughter's boy friend kept eating after we'd all finished. Come to think of it, he does that for everything . . .
    ·
    Haggis,
    Your daughter's boyfriend sounds like my son-in-law!! No food is safe when he is around!![p]Seriously, the loins were delicious. We do like it pretty well-done but still very moist. This was just like that. I am trying to download some pictures to put on the forum. I am at the mercy of dial-up so I don't know if I can get them on Photobucket. They are trying to get there as I write this!![p]We have had our BGE for about four weeks and I have been out of state for two of those weeks. This is just the fifth or sixth cook so I am really a novice![p]Thanks for all your advice!!

·
    Car Wash Mike ,
    I am going to ATTEMPT to post the pictures of my first tenderloin on the BGE. It is sooooo good!!! (Pictures getting here may be another story!)[p]Here we are ready to come off the grill. (Actually, this is after resting -- I put them back on the grill to get the picture!)[p]DSC00545.jpg[p]Sliced and ready to serve. Note the beautiful plate my grandchildren made me for Mother's Day this year.[p]
    DSC00550.jpg[p]Plated and ready to enjoy![p]DSC00546.jpg[p]A close-up of the best part![p]DSC00548.jpg[p]Thanks to everyone for tips!!

·
    Car Wash Mike,
    It WORKED!!! Thanks a bunch! Now, if I can just get as good on the egg!

·