Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got a new small BGE this week.Have question

Options
Fishful Thinkin
Fishful Thinkin Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do you use your small for mostly? I'm curious to find out what is the best way to use it as well as what foods you think make the small a great size. Also interested in what accessories I should think about. So far I have done pig candy and very large sweet potatoes. I had a little trouble keeping the temp down at first and got the pig candy a little scorched. I have been using a large BGE for several years and have always had pretty good results. I may have a lot to learn on the small. Thanks for all the help and looking for suggestions.[p]Fishful Thinkin

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Fishful Thinkin,
    The small is a great size for anything that you would do on your large, just in smaller quantity. It is great for cooking for 1 to 4 people. The pizza is just as good, only smaller. It is my favorite egg size. It goes anywhere that you want to take it. The temperature control is a little different, but easy to learn. Enjoy your new small!

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    Fishful Thinkin,
    Camping and tailgating. When at home, when I want to do two dishes on the egg. Occasionally steaks, takes wont waste as much charcoal when grilling with high heat.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Fishful Thinkin,
    I just use my small for smaller cooks. Especially when we've got a low and slow going or ribs or pizza on the large the small does ABTs or burgers or chicken etc.

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    Fishful Thinkin,[p]I too added a small to go with my large. The small is now the workhorse at our house. We are a family of four and most of our nightly cooks are more suited to the size of the small. It has been my experience that the small is slower to attain high temps (over 600) but it uses charcoal more economically. Can't think of too many things that I can cook on my large that I couldn't do on my small. Obviously sizes and amounts of cooked items dictate which egg I use. I don't have a pizza stone for my small but don't see why you couldn't cook a small pizza in there. You should get some grate mates. They allow you to cook at differing heights from the coals and give you a means by which to add a barrier for indirect cooking. I think that there may be a platesetter now for the small but I don't have one of those I use my BGE deep dish stone with my grate mates for indirect cooking. Hope this helps[p]Kinger
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Kinger aka JNK,
    Chicken is our favorite on the small using Evan's GrateMates. I use them all the time.

[ul][li]Grate Mates[/ul]
  • Fishful Thinkin
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    Thanks for all the input from everyone. I think I will really enjoy this one as much as the other two (large and medium). I'm going to try chicken this weekend and maybe a couple of fatties. Again thanks for the suggestions.
    Fishful Thinkin

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Kinger aka JNK,
    What else can one use the deep dish stone for besides basically having it sub in as a platesetter.[p]There is a platesetter for the small now so I'm trying to decide which would be best to get.[p]Also, on the gratemates, is there a reason you need to raise the grill higher on the small than you would on a large? Would you recommend the standard or deluxe gratemates? Do the deluxe mates do exactly what the standards do plus something or are they entirely different? I did read about them on the gratemate site but was uncertain about that fact.[p]Thanks,
    Gwen

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    I use the 9" deep dish to cook pies on all of the eggs.They make the bottom and top done at the same time.Here is a picture of one of mine on the XL cooking a tomato pie.I also have the platesetter for the small and it works great.
    Larry

[ul][li]Tomato pie in 9[/ul]
  • YB
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    Here is a picture cooking 2 pies on the large egg at one time using the deep pie dishes.Hope this helps.
    Larry

[ul][li]Deep Dish Pies[/ul]
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    YB,
    If you had wanted, could you have made the pie directly into the deep dish stone? Or do you have to heat it up first and then drop the other container in?[p]Gwen

• YB
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    I'm sure you could make the pie in the dish if you made your own pie shell.I'm to lazy for that.I that if you get 1 or 2 of these you will really use them.
    Larry

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Larry, Nobody is lazier than I am! Trust me on this. I used to love those premade pie shells. Then I was told that the fats in them are some of the worst known to man. This would include premade pie crusts and all those yummy dough things that come in the cans. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy them since. We have a lot of heart disease in my family. My dad died at 54 of a heart attack and ditto for his dad. As I approach 54, I'm getting very worried and so try and do what I can. The vast majority of my eating habits are unhealthy, but I try to make from scratch where I can. That, plus my husband bought me a $$$ stove and I feel really guilty buying premade stuff to heat up in it. [p]Gwen

• Fishful Thinkin
    Options
    Looks like I need a few more things for the small. Those are some great pics. I've gotta try the tomatoe pie. It sounds really good.[p]Cecil

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Gwen - what color of AGA did you get? I was just looking at the website and I was amazed at how many colors you could choose from!
  • YB
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    I don't blame you for not using them...My wife gave me one of her kidneys 2-27-04 and I watch what I eat.
    Larry

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    I'm boring. I got the cream one. I really waffled about the claret. It is just so stunning. But I didn't want to be tied down to a red kitchen, even tho it's not really red - so much more beautiful. [p]We have a very dark piece of property - lots of trees around and a porch going one 3 sides of the house, which cuts off a lot of sun/light. So I wanted to keep a light-colored kitchen. Otherwise we might have gone for the british racing green, which I also love. There were entirely too many choices![p]I always look at all the colorful things and then buy beige. LOL What can I say, I'm a neutral kinda girl. I put the color in with accessories, pillows and stuff, and then switch them out. I love to decorate for every holiday -- August is the only month of the entire year we don't have decorations up and I'm working on that ;) -- and if you go using bold colors on the walls and stuff, it will eventually clash with a holiday. I've found beige is the only color that goes with red, green, brown, orange, black, *and* spring pastels. Believe it or not, the claret came very closes to it. The only holiday I really couldn't relate it to was Halloween.[p]Oh, and the chocolate brown color was not out when we bought ours. That woulda been a big contender had it been. [p]Gwen