Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib question

Kevin D
Kevin D Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,[p]I've got a 5lb boneless prime rib to prepare for tonight. I would like to cook it at 250. Any estimate on how long this will take? Why 250? Because as soon as the rib comes off, tomorrow's Pork Shoulder Picnic goes on! I love it! Any suggestions are much appreciated.[p]Kevin

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Kevin D,
    That chunk of meat would benefit from higher temps...350 or more. After you pull your prime rib, add your smoking wood, then a bunch of fresh lump on top of the fire, add your indirect setup and pork shoulder, and close the vents down to a slit. You should be humming along at 250 in no time. Thanks to CW for this killer tip.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Standing%20Rib%20Roast.jpg
    <p />Kevin D,
    I agree with Nature Boy, more lump, smoking wood and meat; that'l cool her down.
    Try the link below for a great prime.
    B D

[ul][li]Old English Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Big Daddy,
    Also see link below for salt crust recipe.
    B D

[ul][li]Salt Crust[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    prime3.jpg
    <p />Kevin D,[p]I agree with those that vote for higher temps. 350 deg minimum. Take a look at my website under BEEF. You will see prime rib and there are several pictures of a couple I did some time ago. You won't like them done at under 325 deg. Use a thermometer or polder to check for doneness.[p]Tim[p]
    [ul][li]Tim's BGE page[/ul]
  • Kevin D,[p]Well Kevin, after all the fun @ the BGE Forum, how did the Prime Rib turn out?

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Char-Woody,
    Your attempts at consolating my frustration are more appreciated than you know. I appreciate it. I apologize for launching like that on a forum not intended for such tirades.[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Huck, Thats acceptable..and consider a cyber handshake.
    Best of Q to you and yours.
    C~W

• Don F.,[p]It was fantastic. I decided to keep it simple. I'll try a few of the other recipes when I am not under in-law pressure to perform. A bit of seasoned salt and plenty of pepper. Cooked over a drip pan at 375. The biggest surprise was how long it took. 30 minutes per pound to get it to 125 internal. Ol' humpty put on quite a show. The oh's, ah's, and mmmm's hit a 9 on the egg-ometer![p]Kevin
  • Nature Boy,[p]Good tips. See my other post for the results of the prime rib. Your tip on adding wood and charcoal to bring down the dome temp was excellent. The picnic shoulder has now been on for thirteen hours. The dome temp dropped to 160 during the night but it came right back up with just a nudge of the dampers. This is a perfect egging weekend. Later today or tomorrow I think I'll work on my pizza. I also plan on trying pretzels.[p]Kevin