Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get egg over 450 degrees

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm fairly new at this BGE thing.......I am having trouble getting my Egg to heat up over 450 degrees. I use an electric starter and BGE charcoal, and have both of the vents wide open. Charcoal is about 1" above the air holes. I'm trying to get it to 550-600 to cook pizza. I have a pizza stone that I set on 4 bricks on the grate. I have also had the same problem without the bricks & stone when I am trying to cook steaks. Any ideas?

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Victor,
    Stir the charcoal. You most likely have small pieces clogging the fire grate holes.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Victor,[p]Make sure that the firebox opening, the bottom item that the grate sits on then the charcoal, is aligned with the opening of the door.[p]If you are just getting started and this is one of 4-5 cooks DO NOT run over 325-350 during the first several cooks. Gaskets new usually do not like high heat. Save the pizza for another day and do burgers, chicken pork chops.[p]
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Victor,
    more fuel means more heat fill that fire box up......
    take the daisey wheel off....
    like richard said about if it is new!!!![p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• John
    John Posts: 62
    Options
    Victor,
    You have a lot of mass in there you have to heat up. Try getting the temp up with out the bricks and see how fast the temp rises. Those bricks soak up a lot of heat. IMO John

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Victor,[p]To emphasize a point BENTE made, take the dual function metal top off completely. Just opening it will sometimes not allow enough air to flow quickly enough.[p]Take the lid off the top and slide the bottom vent all the way open and it will shoot to 700 faster than you would imagine.[p]Also as said by others, be careful not to do this until your gaskets have been through several cooks to set the adhesive.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Victor,
    start the egg with the bottom wide open and nothing on top, when it gets to 300 put the daisy wheel on top, and should settle at about 350, let it sit there for about 1/2 hour so everything is well heated, then start adjusting for higher levels for pizza