Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire bucket and seafood grid

Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_4354.jpg
<p />Gonna try out some new toys. The porcelain grid looks great for seafood and vege's. I made a fire bucket from a stainless bowl and installed two wire handles. I'll be giving this thing a workout to see if the advantages come out on top. The holes in the bucket correspond to the cast iron grate holes. Did a first time use last evening with pork steak and vege's. No noticable change in getting up to temp or cooking characteristics at 325 dome. This morning I lifted out the bucket and the pit was clean.
Eggor made a fire bucket. Anybody else have something like this?
Clay (two brain cells and a beer for thinking)

IMG_4351.jpg

This morning I found the lump had burned evenly so that's good.

IMG_4356.jpg

Nice and clean pit, ready to reload.

IMG_4357.jpg

Re-use this old lump, dumping the ash out, replace the fire bucket and build a new fire.

IMG_4358.jpg

Comments

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    ClayQ,
    It looks cool. So, the purpose of the bucket is to make cleanout and/or ash shakeout easier?
    Paul

• ClayQ,
    I want one of the fire buckets

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Essex County,
    I think it would be cool if you had a bucket beneath the fire grate to just lift out ond dump out he ash.This is my next project and if I find a way to do it you will see it here first.The bucket is a good idea and I think Kamado has one for their cooker.But I think what most people object to is getting rid of the ash.

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    Darnoc,
    THis is a great idea. An easy way to dump the ash. I would think an old can or something cut down to size with an opening for the bottom draft. Looks like I have a weekend project !!!

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Ok, after you have double checked and put the final touches on it, when will they be ready for sale? I'll be the first one on the backorder list![p]-Jeeves
    Austin

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Essex County,
    great idea! my cast iron grate is totally shot... i was going to use an old stainless frying pan to replace it.... i'm gonna try your firebucket idea to replace the grate//// do ya think it'll work? thanks! ray

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    DSC_0064.jpg
    <p />ClayQ, ah dude, you'll dig the lump bucket. I've been using one for a long time. This is version 2 for me. With this one, the bge grate drops into the bucket and the spacing on the rings is tigther, approx. 1/2 on most of it. It holds lump well. [p]DSC_0072.jpg[p]You'll find cleaning the ash fast and super easy. With mine, lift out the bucket and the egg is empty, scoop out the ash, give the bucket a shake and return: total time about one minute which includes beer drinking. I use a single gang electrical box as an ash scoop. It's cheap and the perfect size, just need to snip off the tabs and if you like, stuff the inside with foil. [p]Didn't eggor make his lump bucket using a stainless colander. [p]100_0267.jpg[p]The only thing you'll find is the stainless can rust and pit. All I can figure is given the roller coaster ride in temperatures during a cook, the stainless can't keep or develop the protective coating. I'm guessing it will only last another 5-7 years.....LOL. [p]It's a great accessory.
    T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Clay Q
    tjv,
    Hey your lump bucket looks well made. I don't have a the equipment to bend rod or weld stainless so used eggor's colander idea. Found my pail in the kitchen,...don't tell DianaQ.
    Well I hope the bucket can streamline fire maintenance for a while. I think mine will burn up long before yours, he he.
    Clay

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    ClayQ,
    That bucket would come in handy when having to cool and egg down quicker than normal. Thanks for the pic.[p]Mike

• Clay Q
    Essex County,
    Yes, a little easier. I noticed most of the ash stayed in the bucket so when I lift out the unused lump I'm also taking out the ash for easy removal.
    Clay

• Clay Q
    Car Wash Mike ,
    Eggcellent idea, my mini needs one. Off to the shop I go.
    Thanks Mike.

• Clay Q
    IMG_0357.jpg
    <p />Darnoc,
    You mean something.....like this?

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    tjv,
    Tom, have you considered beneath the grate to make an oversized tuna can with a notch where the air enters the fire box and put some type of a handle on it. Then you could take your basket of coals out and then lift the ash can.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Richard, I'm not sure how cans or solid baskets in the firebox affect heat distribution within the firebox or lower part of the egg. I not so concerned about heat for cooking but thermal gradients within the ceramics themselves. I figure, the fireboxes already crack, no need to potentially add to an existing problem. Heck, but then maybe it would help, I just don't know. [p]When I built my lump bucket, I tried to replicate the BGE set-up as much as possible. My bucket has one ring that rests againsts the firebox, very similar to how the grate sits. The bucket doesn't weigh much, so not much worry there. [p]I understand the reasoning behind the tuna can, makes sense. I guess it comes down to personal preference: dumping one tuna can vs. scooping and dumping a gang box two or three times. Gotta love cool egg ideas.....T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    ClayQ,
    You hit the nail on the head.How can you make that with out welding equipment?I was trying to find some thing just like your photo that a dumb skull could modify to do the same thing.Do you think your idea fills the need or is just using a small plate to scoop it out just as effective?But I have to say that you beat me to the punch on my idea but if I can figure out how to do it so the average happy home owner can get the same results with things around the house,well that might be another issue.

• Clay Q
    Darnoc,
    A found object if often the quickest way of getting something you need. I'm thinking of a visit to Goodwill or Target/Wallmart type of store to find a stainless or aluminum pot that would fit under the grate. Cut it down and then cut a space for draft to flow in. Figure out a way to bolt a small handle inside for lifting out and your good to go. Tip; Measure the space under the grate, I think its something like 8.5" wide x 3.5" high and jot it down on paper. Take a tape ruler and your measurements to the store to check pots for the right size. No welding required.
    Good luck!
    Clay

• Clay Q
    ranger ray,
    Well it depends...if your cookin hot for pizza, a fire bucket (made from a thin stainless mixing bowl) will likely sag, twist and split without the grate for support. If you can make a HEAVY duty stainless fire bucket it could work fine without the grate.
    Good luck,
    Clay

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    tjv,
    How do I buy one?