Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

West Coast Lump

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,[p]I just purchased a 40# bag of lump at OSH for $15. It's called California Hot Wood. 100% natural mesquite charcoal made in Mexico.[p]I checked it out and found no scrap, varnish or other "non-wood" debris. The pieces are on the smallish side, the biggest being about the size of an average egg.[p]Has anyone else out in California used this? If it works well for me, I'll be purchasing more. The guys at OSH said that they carry it all year long.[p]I think the price is great and the lump is good, but any comments are welcome.[p]Kevin

Comments

• Kevin Klostermann,
    Haven't tried OSH lump charcoal, but have used Lazzari Brand 100% mesquite from Smart&Final, 40# bag was about $12.99. Quality was very good. I personally prefer oak/hickory charcoal, but it's hard to find on the west coast. If you live near the bay area, Lazzari Fuel Co. is located in Brisbane, CA. (415) 467-2970.
    They carry both mesquite and hickory and oak. Last year I purchased 7-#40 bags, mesquite was $9.99, and the oak/hickory was 14.10. Don't think we can beat this price anywhere.

• Walter
    Options
    Kevin Klostermann,[p]I tried a small bag of the Hot Wood a year or so ago... worked fine in my Large Egg. Wife didn't care as much for the mesquite flavor... so I went back to BGE lump. Recently picked up a couple bags of BBQ Galore brand lump for 10.99 per 20# bag. It's pretty good, but has more scrap than I would like. [p]Walter