Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

flare up

edited 4:02PM in EggHead Forum
I just got my egg today and I couldn't be happier, but after testing it out by grilling steaks I found that opening it up is somewhat tricky. When I bought it they warned me to crack the lid a little bit before opening it fully, but apparently I wasn't careful enough. Wow! Blast of flames and heat, followed by the smell of burnt hair. I'm quickly beginning to think this thing may excel as a smoker, but will require serious care when used as a high heat grill.[p]Any thoughts?

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,171
    jonah,[p]Always burp the egg 2-3 times before opening it all the way if the temps are over 300 or so.[p]To burp, lift the lid up 2-3 inches and listen for a slight "whoosh" sound. Then you should be safe to open it all the way.[p]Side note, you should do 5-6 lower temp cooks before really getting the temp over 350 to avoid melting the gaskets. A few lower temp cooks allow the adhesive to set.[p]Good luck and welcome to eggdom.
  • jonah,[p]Read the info on this forum about "burping" the egg.
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    <p />jonah,
    My thoughts are here: (wink)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • bobinazbobinaz Posts: 44
    jonah,[p]What I do to 'burp' my eggs(large & small) is to just before opening, I open the top vent all the way, open the bottom vent all the way. You can see the rush of heat and/or smoke escaping quickly out of the top. After 5 to 10 seconds or so, I know it is safe to open the egg up without any flashback or suprizes happening. Just make sure you set the vents back to the desired position when you close the top. That's how I do it and never had any burnt hairs.