Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steaks cook too fast on medium egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I HAVE A MEDIUM EGG. I'VE TRIED TO COOK STEAKS AT 700 DEGREES LIKE MOST OF YOU ADVICE, BUT THE STEAKS SEEM TO COOK TOO FAST AT THAT TEMP. I WAS WONDERING IF THAT TEMP JUST APPLIES TO THE LAGER EGG.I COOKS EACH SIDE FOR ABOUT ONE MINUTE AND HALF.

THOMAS

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    thomas in atlanta, At those temperatures, if your steak is not a full 1.5 to 2.0 inches thick they will cook fast. Try shortening the time to 1 minute per side and then cap off the top and shut the lower vent for about 2 minutes.
    Leave the lower vent shut...take the top cap off, wait a minute, then traverse the dome a inch or so to avoid the dastardly flareout. Use a glove if you have one for the possibility in any case.
    Basically...time, temperature and thickness is all relative to the steak cook. If you don't want a charred exterior, try cooking at the 5 to 600F range.. It takes a bit longer, but I find little difference in taste.
    How do you like your steak...in thickness, and doneness. We can go from there..
    Makin me hungry...:-)
    C~W
    BTW... the smaller eggs are the better steak cookers!

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Char-Woody,[p]Amen to that. Give me my Mini and two strips and look out.[p]Carl T

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Carl T,
    Amen indeed. I bought my small to compensate for the time and fuel it took to get the large to 700º when I'm only doing steaks for two.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    BlueSmoke,
    Great...now I find these things out.
    Let's see how this flies: honey, I need a small egg to do steaks; honey, I need a medium egg to do chickens; honey, I need a mini to do a couple burgers.
    And guess what's for dinner: a pair of rib-eyes on my large!
    Did meet the 'butcher' at the local grocery and we talked BGE...think I've convinced another soul!

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    thomas in atlanta,[p]I do em like that on both my medium and mini. Had a friend over the other night and he said it was one of the best steaks he'd ever eaten![p]<color= green>Smokey</color>

• Shelby,
    Talked to wife about BGE. Hoping for a Big Green Christmas Present.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Jack the Butcher,
    Welcome to the group. You have lots of good cooking in store for you, and all the help you need here. Your job wil certainly be a plus for you!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ