Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - totally Messed Up, but Good anyway

Options
Mary
Mary Posts: 190
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I finally tried some ribs over the weekend. got a small package of pork somethings. Couldn't tell what they were exactly. forgot about them until Monday afternoon and realized I had to cook them. Found a recipe, but realized I really didn't have time to slow roast them. I had some Char Crust southwestern rub sitting in the pantry. I wasn't very impressed with it on chicken, but figured what the heck. Thought I remembered someone getting ribs done in 3 - 3 1/2 hours, so I fired up the egg to 350F, put some bricks down, put the ribs on a grid and shut it up. I was busy with other stuff, but it was doing pretty good, then checked and it suddenly had shot up to 500F - oops. I was pretty certain that was too hot, so I damped it down. When I took them out, Instant Read thermometer said 195F, they were a little black. ok, they were burnt. I made a quick salad and ate. [p]Amazingly, they were still close to the best ribs I've ever eaten. Under a pretty tough charred top layer, they were delicious and juicy. Now, I'm going to have to try them and do it right. If this ridiculous failure was that good, I can hardly imagine how good doing them right would be.[p]Mary

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mary,
    Oooops! That sounds great though. Some of the best I have done were indirect at 400. They were not burnt, and were very tender. Sounds like your next ones will again be the best yet!![p]I am gonna try my other part of my babyback experiment tomorrow. Last week indirect, this time I will try Cat's technique of 250 direct in rib rack. I wish my wife liked ribs as much as I![p]Q on.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Mary,
    Is it possible that you just burned the Char Crust? If that is what happened, then the crust protected the meat. Did you have to scrape off the outside layer or did it still taste good.[p]I know that when you blast Char Crust on steaks or chops, it comes out looking pretty burnt but it still taste great.[p]Glad they came out,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Mary,
    Crispy outsides are what makes ribs really good. I had my first taste of those kind more than 25 years ago at Poor Red's in El Dorado CA (near Placerville). I started making them on an old Japanese habatchi (looked identical to the large BGE) and haven't looked back. 300F for 1 1/2 hours (+/-) direct and sauced as desired will turn out Heaven itself.
    JimW

• Mary, as you see from the responces,,, there are many ways to get there. I have egged ribs at 150 for 6 hours, 250 for 4 hours, and 300 for 3 hours. I guess it just depends on whether you need to get there in a hurry,, or if you want to take your time and enjoy the eggsperience. I'm doing babybacks this weekend and I will probably go with 250 indirect for 4 hours.
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    WEll, the char crust was black, but the top layer of meat was too. under that was really juicy and good.[p]Mary