Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moist Butt?

Options
Eggmeister-disabled
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked three butts last night. I injected them with an apple juice marinade. But they were not as moist as some butts that I cooked last weekend with no injected marinade. Could the lack of moisture be due to the fact that I had the fat cap on the grill grid instead of on top? Like last week? Does it matter whether the fat cap is turned up or down on the grill? Thanks

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Moist Butt?...Bad visual...Anyway...I cook alot of BBs for my wife's catering company...and I've done them just about every way imaginable...Inject..not injected..Fat cap up...down...With mustard coating...without...With dry rub...without....Foiled at the end...and not....[p]It's all about the meat..it really is...And some pieces are just plain better than others..That's just the way it is...You injected these..and they weren't as good as those you didn't..Go figure..[p]These days it's all about keeping it simple..No injections...Thin mustard coating...DP Dry Rub...and on the egg..that's it..And things just seem to work out better that way...It's the K.I.S.S. principle...[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Eggmeister,
    what temp was it when it came off?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggmeister-disabled
    Options
    stike,[p]I started at 245* at 9pm. I checked at 4 am and the temp had fallen to 180. I kicked it up and when I checked again at 8:30am, the temp was 290* and the butt temp was 193*
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Eggmeister,
    sounds right. have no idea then why the meat would be dry.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Charles in SC
    Options
    Eggmeister,
    How big were the butts?