Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

XL Sealing issues and anticipated new Spring Assy

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been told that certain XL BGE's do not seal well if the present spring assist is utilized. My XL shipped with the second edition of Spring Assist which I have removed in order to allow the Guru ProCom to work efficiently. I was told a couple of months ago by calling BGE direct that a new Spring Assembly will be out "in a matter of weeks". I have checked with my retailer who has check with their distributor and I can't seem to get a firm date of release of the newest spring modification for the XL. Anyone on this list have any info on this??

Comments

• Al Steinberg,
    Was able to see the BGE catalog a month ago and there was no mention of it in there. Our BGE rep said to double layer the rear portion of your gasket a BGE self sticking felt replacement. The weight of the lid will press the felt down and you should get a seal. I have not tried it as I would have to remove my crusted, burnt gasket first and start all over. But it does sound like a fix that might work.

• Al Steinberg,
    I don't know if I have the ultimate fix or not, but my egg is only a couple months old, and the tab attached to the upper hinge link has a slot, not a hole, which appears to work. I know the slot is a later refinement, the originals had holes.[p]I still fried the felt gasket, even with a good seal. I put on a wood stove gasket (aka rutland), which is made of fiberglass, and so far it appears bullet proof. It is so thick that at first the egg has troublel sealing in front. Eventually the weight of the egg crushes it enough that you get a tight seal all around.[p]Sooner or later you're gonna burn up that felt gasket, so might as well start planning.