Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

could not slice brisket - did i cook it too long?

pipedream
pipedream Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked a whole brisket this weekend. Marinated in a rub for five hours, then I smoked it one hour and fifteen minutes per pound (it was an 11 pounder) with dome temp of 250, fat cap down, bacon slices on top. When I took it off it had an internal temp of 202, I put the point back on and foiled and toweled the flat in an empty cooler for 2 hours.
When I tried to slice the brisket, it was too fall apart tender. What a problem, I know! So I had to just pull/chip it. It tasted great, very moist, very smokey, but I really wanted those pretty slices. I tried a serated knife and a regular knife, and I tried across the grain and with the grain, it was no use. So my question is, did I cook it too long? And by the way, I chopped the point up and made some killer baked beans!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    pipedream,
    on the next one give it a fork test starting around 185, then every 5 degrees til it seems done. most have the habit of undercooking and getting tough meat, yours sounds better.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    pipedream,
    I agree with fishlessman. Your better off cooking longer and shredding than tough. He gives good advice on fork test.[p]Mike

• Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    pipedream,[p]I use an electric knife and that seems to help.[p]Braddog
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    pipedream,[p]I had this happen to me but it was after the cooler. It was very fork tender then foiled for about4 hours. Still over 140 when I took it out and hard as a rock when I tried to cut it. Lucky for me the point was still good so I had to turn that in chopped up. I used an injectible marinade so maybe it dried to fast. I dont know.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    pipedream,
    fishlessman has it right on testing. The baisc message is that you should use the recipe as a guide, but stay in touch with your cook -- regardless what you are cooking.[p]

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    pipedream,
    Brisket is a hard piece of meat to nail IMHO. I've cook a fair amount and I love it for flavor. I normally can't slice once to save my life. Last one I cooked I nailed, best I've cooked to date. Injecting it seemed to make it cook faster. Try something like the beef injection recipe in Ray's first book.[p]Might want to pull it sooner and then cooler it.[p]H

• pipedream
    pipedream Posts: 58
    thanks guys-
    yeah, can't complain on the taste or texture. it had an awesome flavor from the rub and smoke and it was very moist and tender. i just wanted those nice slices! one more question, do you slice it against or with the grain?
    -pd

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    pipedream,[p] You slice it against the grain.[p]If you have a tough piece of meat (london broil) you slice each slice thinner. If you have a super tender chunk of meat like an over cooked brisket you make the slices thicker.[p]Brisket slices should be the thickness of a #2 lead pencil.[p]Now I am off to Upstate NY.. Ya'll behave now.