Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Request for information

The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to put together some information about the Egg and ceramic cookers, and I'd like to pick your brains to make sure I have some good information. I'll tell you what this is all about if it all works out later. So, if it's ok with youse guys, I'd like to ask a few questions over the next couple of days and get your ideas.[p]Question number 1:[p]What are some of the more unusual things you cook on ceramic cookers that you normally might not think of doing on a grill or a smoker? For example, I think paella fits into this category. Cooking your Thanksgiving turkey does not. I'm looking for things that will generate the reaction, "Wow! You cooked THAT on an Egg?"[p]Thanks!
TNW

The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    The Naked Whiz,
    I think stuff like breads, deserts, corn in the husks would be a start. Lasagna.

• The Naked Whiz,
    I would think cooking with a wok would count as I can not see doing this on a grill. Another item would be bread, biscuit and cake baking.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • BGEphotos016-1.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,[p]I cooked a pan of lasagna on my BGE. I never thought I would have cooked lasagna anywhere but in my kitchen oven.
    So Lasagna on the Egg is my unusual contribution.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The Naked Whiz,[p] I have to agree with the WOK, or my Dutch Ovens. People at Greenwood were amazed watching me cook Stir-Fried Veggie in the WOK. My dutch oven breakfast fascinated more then a few.[p]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I love the reaction from people when I make cookies. I usually make oatmeal and peanut butter (they are two separate cookies, not one peanut oatmeal cookie). At the last Eggfest in Waldorf, I made Cinnamon roles and they were a hit too![p]Smokey
  • Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    The Naked Whiz,
    I second things in a crock pot, like stews... any desserts like Spawns Brownies and what about smoked cheese? Jerky?

• AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I agree with Celtic Wolf... Dutch oven cooking for sure... Beef stew, roast, etc...[p]Thanks..
    ...AnnaG...

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Smokey,[p]Didn't you also make little muffins (strawberry?) at the last eggtoberfest?
  • scole
    scole Posts: 29
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I roast all kinds of vegetables in disposable foil pans at temps about 500. My favorites are fresh okra sprinkled with diced garlic, drizzled with olive oil and salted to taste. I do the same thing with fresh asparagus and sliced mushrooms. Might not be unusual though, except for the okra. LET'S HERE IT FOR OKRA!
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    AlaskanC,[p]I think so, but I don't remember everything I made WAY BACK THEN.[p]I like venturing on the Non-meat side of things ... everyone else is making meat or chicken (or salmon/tofu)!
    Smokey

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning The Naked Whiz:[p]Here's one we did just a few nights ago. Grilled salad -- started with Romaine lettuce, split length-wise. Added some Robust Italian Dressing and grated Asiago cheese. [p]P7240004.jpg[p]On the main grid at about 350, "back" side first. After about 2 minutes flip over to "sliced" side down for another 90 seconds. Take off, add some more grated cheese, cut it up and make a very nice salad.[p]P7240006.jpg[p]Definitely a different way to have lettuce, and in my opinion, very tasty.[p]Another of "one of my most unusual meals" is spaghetti and meatballs.[p]See link below.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

[ul][li]Spaghetti[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• 4mar07_2-005.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,
    monkey bread?[p]4mar07-024.jpg[p]did i win? hahaa

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I cooked brats and lamb at Smitty's first ever California Eggfest. [p]People lined up for samples, were impressed, and said nice things about both.[p]But when my wife presented a strawberry crisp, people stood in a long line for samples. Many questioned that a dessert could be done on a ceramic cooker, while shoveling strawberry crisp into their mouths.[p]And actually, I think desserts are the most unusual, and unexpected, product from a ceramic cooker. [p]I will always think that the ceramic is a superior every-day cooking machine. I think that is were it's place is most appreciated. [p]But for unusual, breads (without having to build a kiln, fire it over night, remove the coals, and bake) and desserts, are a benefit that is generally under appreciated.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    The Naked Whiz,
    I make monkey bread for breakfast. The next door neighbors can now recognise the smell and show up with coffee cups in hand.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    The Naked Whiz,
    Pizza is dooable on a gasser or other grill, but they cannot match a BGE/ceramic. Lots of great pictures.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    bread%20on%20gregg.JPG
    <p />The Naked Whiz,[p]I always get an interesting expression when I show this picture of pumpkin bread.[p]TRex
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    The Naked Whiz,
    I just finished baking some Italian herb and cheese scones that were made from a King Arthurs mix. Once the scones were done,sliced in half than put Kraukus ham and imported swiss cheese inside, back on the egg till melted. Un-believible.

• Chickenenchilatacasserole.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,[p]Chicken enchilada casserole.
  • Carbonizer,
    photo ?[p]sounds incredible

• The Naked Whiz,
    last night had some fresh Maine blueberries and made a Deep dish blueberry pie.

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    The Naked Whiz,
    I only wish I could match these contributions! But I think it's worth saying that I've been spreading the word that the whole family better learn to make EVERYTHING on my Eggs because The Big One (earthquake) is overdue!

Judy in San Diego
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    tigerpaw,
    hey dont be whipping out a pic like that without adding a recipe. DAyum that looks good.

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    The Naked Whiz,
    The baked desserts seem the most unusual to me, but I've done lots of casseroles like tetrazzini, mac and cheese, enchiladas that I wouldn't have thought of on a grill. And stuffed peppers...[p]StuffedPeppers.jpg

• The Naked Whiz,
    geez doug, where do i start[p]fish in bamboo steamers
    salmon.jpg[p]lobster burgers
    IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg[p]lasagna
    IMG_0835.jpg[p]pan seared boneless stuffed turkey thighs
    IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg[p]the spawn's famous brownies
    DSCN1290-1.jpg[p]cheese souffle
    IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg[p]crab stuffed canneloni with white sauce[p]IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg[p]chocolate chip kahlua cake[p]DSCN1605.jpg[p]pancetta pamesan torte[p]DSCN1243.jpg[p]steamed mussels[p]DSCN1177.jpg[p]oxtail stew[p]DSCN0987.jpg[p]potato gallette[p]DSCN0875.jpg[p]peach blueberry crisp[p]DSCN0426.jpg[p]escargot[p]escargot.jpg

DSCN0301.jpg[p]

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    BGEphotos125.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,
    How about Chicken Catchatori on the Egg...[p]

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    tigerpaw,[p] yeah out with the recipe already!!![p]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    The Naked Whiz, I do a "Apple Lady's Apple Cake" - sort of an apple tart.

• tigerpaw
    tigerpaw Posts: 12
    Celtic Wolf,[p]I'm a looking. My wige got if from a friend, so I hope it got filed. :(
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    I am computerly challenged, tried to post photo on this forum b4 but no luck, I will send to your address though. "burp"

• PigsEye
    PigsEye Posts: 21
    The Naked Whiz,
    I get that reaction with fatties.