Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt's Cookin' But Here Comes The Rain!

Options
WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the butt has been behaving itself at a steady 230 degrees since I put it on about 4 hours ago but our forecasted rain has just hit hard![p]This is my first experience with a long cook AND/or rain. Prior to the rain, I had the wheel just barely cracked. After 15 minutes or so of rain, the temp dropped 15 degrees![p]Should I shut the wheel all the way? Will that kill the fire overnight? Keep it where it was and ignore the rain? The forecast is for plenty more rain, by the way.[p]Any advise would sure be appreciated. I was kind of hoping to get some sleep tonight.[p]Bob

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    WudEyeDoo, make sure your vent is cracked open but use a tin coffee can with some side vents.. I used a pointed can opener to make the holes.. this will keep the rain from entering the top..otherwise the egg will cook like no rain at all..I recommended some time ago that folks find a outdoor vent cap in the hardware sections. Its made of galvanized sheet metal, and works very well as a rain cap over the daisy wheel. I have no problems with it..Only exception is wind..and in those cases I slip a brick or some heavy object across the bands of ths vent cap.
    Good luck..
    C~W
    No rain here in C'Iowa. Wish it would.

• WudEyeDoo
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks!!!! You saved my BUTT! That was a great and timely idea (the coffee can). I will hit the hardware store tomorrow for a hardware vent cap. Regarding the rain--We've got plenty here in Southeast Texas. If I could, I would be happy to send it your way.[p]Thanks again, Char-Woody.[p]Bob
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    WudEyeDoo, great, amd take a wire coat hanger and bend it straight..Nip off the ends with a cutter, pliers, etc. Bend a 90 degree angle about 3 inches long on the end. Just make it long enough so you can insert it in the ash vent, and stick the wire up thru the grate holes..Just wiggle it a bit till you see hot ash fall down. Do this in several places, and then close up the lower vent to a 1/8 or less gap. This should get ya thru the night easily..I hope you really loaded up that cooker with charcoal. Half way up the firering or more. Not to worry..what you don't use will last for another cook. At least its there should you need it.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• WudEyeDoo
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Well we made it through the rainy night and the butt is still cookin'! I even got some sleep, finally. That "coat hanger" suggestion really helped because I was about to lose my fire last night (must have gotten wet), had the vent wide open and the temp was still dropping. The coat hanger stirred things up and got things going again. Got temp stabilized and went to bed. Woke up with 230 degree reading.[p]Char-Woody, U-Da-Man![p]Bob

• Char-Woody
    Options
    WudEyeDoo, now "U da man" too! just experience and sometimes the most simple works! ..:-) Enjoy the meal and let us know how the best part is!
    I love the crust and how did you initiate the butt, rubs, etc. Anything special??
    C~W