Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pepper Grinder

Good EatsGood Eats Posts: 136
edited 1:28AM in EggHead Forum
I would like to get a decent pepper grinder with the handle on top... Penzy's has one... is it any good? Are there any recommendations? I'd like to stay under $50 if possible.
·

Comments

• RichardRichard Posts: 698
    Good Eats,
    Be sure the pepper grinder has metal and not plastic grinding edges. The plastic wears out. Haven't bought a pepper grinder here but other products. Great service.

[ul][li]http://www.fantes.com/peugeot_pepper_salt.htm#stainless[/ul]
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Good Eats,
    I bought a Magnum after seeing it recommended here on the forum. If you want a serious amount of pepper output, it is the one. -RP

·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    AZRP,
    that's my fave. i pimp it all the time. not sure they have a handle though. i do think they have an electric version. good for arthritis sufferers

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    AZRP,

[ul][li]Magnum[/ul]
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,295
    Good Eats,
    i use a turkish coffee grinder for pepper in the kitchen and for the table for guests, for myself i have a set of perfex both salt and pepper which can be adjusted for big chunks of pepper.

[ul][li]coffee grinder[/ul]
    ·
  • Rusty RoosterRusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    AZRP,
    I have the smaller version and love it. Their pepper is pretty good too.

·
  • Good Eats,
    I had a Olde Thompson grinder that I really liked. It had metal grinders as another poster has indicated is a good thing (sorry Martha). Anyway a small plastic part in the adjusting mcehanism broke. I emailed the company and sent them pix of the grinder. They wrote back and said to pick a new one from the web site and they would send it to me free of charge under their lifetime warranty. I did and they did. The new one is pretty good so I give them a plug here for having a good product and backing it up.

·
  • Good EatsGood Eats Posts: 136
    Rusty Rooster,
    Is this version electric... from the picture it looks as though it has a button... I am guessing since the two of you have recommended it, this is a fairly decent mill.

·
  • Good EatsGood Eats Posts: 136
    Rusty Rooster,
    Is this version electric... from the picture it looks as though it has a button... I am guessing since the two of you have recommended it, this is a fairly decent mill.

·
  • hankhank Posts: 84
    I urge you to consider a small Perfex grinder. Simple design, good price (I think you can get a 3" mill under $50). I'm using the one my parents had when I was a small boy!
    ·
  • Rusty RoosterRusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Good Eats,
    Mine is not electric. You just hold the body & turn the top. I think the "button" you think you see is the large opening for pouring in peppercorns.

·
  • icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    Good Eats,[p]
    A lot of chefs use a peppermate[p][p]

[ul][li]link[/ul]
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Good Eats,[p]I have that exact model. What looks like a button in the pic is actual where you load the peppercorns. It has a twist-away cover.[p]This thing puts out a ton of pepper in one or two cranks. It is well worth the money.[p]I have not seen one with a handle, but the top on this one is large enough that is it easy to use. It turns easily and grinds effortlessly. The housing is black plastic so it is not a decorative piece, but it is highly functional.[p]I had one of the Peugeot models with the hand crank previously, and the Unicorn Magnum grinds much more efficiently.
    ·
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,616
    Good Eats,
    That's not a button, it's a hole for the pepper loading. It's black because there's a black sliding collar to open and close the opening--here it's closed. I've used this for years and love it.[p]But what I use most now is a set of one-handed electric grinders by Peugeot. Arthritis in my hands, especially thumbs, is really painful. Just press a soft rubber pad for it to work and really easy to adjust the grind just by twisting the bottom ring at eye level. And I like my grinds really fine.

Judy in San Diego
    ·
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,616
    icemncmth,
    I've had two of those for at least 20 years, black for black peppercorns, and white (now kinda yellowed) for white peppercorns--boy, is that ever fragrant! The best way to use this is when you need a BIG measurement of ground pepper in a recipe. Otherwise it's too much trouble to take off the bottom every time you grind.

Judy in San Diego
    ·
  • DobieDadDobieDad Posts: 502
    Good Eats,[p]I picked up a Magnum following stike's recommendation and I love it. I keep it in the kitchen and use it mainly in food preparation.[p]But like fishlessman, I like to have different degrees of grind for different foods at the table, and the Magnum is a little tedious to adjust quickly.[p]I've had a William Bounds pepper mill for many years. It has a three position ring adjustment that allows me to click between a coarse, medium and fine grind. I keep that at the table, grind coarse for a green salad and quickly change to fine for other foods. It has a metal grinder mechanism.[p]I like having both the Magnum and Bounds, and use both frequently.[p]I didn't see the mill I have on the Bounds site, but here is an example that includes the adjustment ring (seen near the top).[p]I think I picked mine up at Bed, Bath and Beyond.[p]DD
    [ul][li]William Bounds Classic Pepper Mill[/ul]
    ·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    Good Eats,
    i have a trudeau pepper grinder when it wears out i will get a vic firth[p]happy eggin
    tb

[ul][li]vic firth[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • JimWJimW Posts: 450
    Good Eats,[p]Absolutely the best pepper mill out there is a brass Atlas mill. It's made in Greece. Every household in my extended family has one. THis is one source but I'm sure there are others. I think they come in three sizes.
    JimW

[ul][li]Atlas Mill[/ul]
    ·
  • JimWJimW Posts: 450
    JimW,
    By the way, the mill is worth the price.
    JimW

·
  • AZRP,
    I agree it is a pepper grinding monster and I love mine.
    Jupiter Jim

·
  • AZRP,[p]Cutlery and More is the place to get the magnum. They have great customer service! I have the big and small Pepper grinder and I also have their small salt grinder. All excellent products
    ·