Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Butt

Options
Kevin D
Kevin D Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got back from the butcher, where I asked for a Boston Butt. They looked at me like I had three eyes and said no, but they did show me a pork shoulder butt. I bought it and then found this explanation on the web. I need to learn all the names for Boston Butt...
[ul][li]Pork Shoulder Explanation[/ul]

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Kevin D,[p]I used to have a link that explained the history of the name Boston Butt. However I cant seen to put my hands on it now and a search of the archives didn't pull it up either. Anyway, to the best of my recollection, here is the way the name "Boston Butt" came to be.[p]In the old days of shipping they packed meat in wooden containers, or BUTTS. The meat packers in Boston had a unique way of cutting their pork shoulders and those were apparently more desireable so they were marked as BOSTON on the canisters. Those were separated out upon arrival. So, a Boston Butt originally referred to the shipping canister, not the actual meat inside of the canister. It was a pork shoulder from Boston that was cut in a unique way. The irony of this is that, according to the story, they are called Boston Butts everywhere in the country EXCEPT in Boston.[p]This is as accurate as I can get on this story without actually seeing the original article. Not sure if it has any truth to it at all, just what I can remember off the top of my head.[p]Troy
  • Kevin D
    Options
    sprinter,[p]The butcher I went to is about 5 miles from Boston. I guess you've explained the funny looks. Thanks for the info.
  • sprinter
    Options
    Kevin D,[p]Glad to be able to help out. I doubt that answer will win you any prizes on a gameshow but it is an interesting tale on how the Boston Butt acquired its name.[p]Have a great weekend, hopefully you're cooking up that Butt for some PP over the holiday.[p]Troy
  • Kevin D
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Another interesting thing. The butcher said that the best way to cook it is to slice it thin and toss it in a frying pan. I think I'll stick with the forum methods.
  • sprinter
    Options
    Kevin D,[p]He's not actually that far off of the mark with that one. I sometimes cut off a couple or three steaks from the Butt that I'm slow cooking and eat them during the process of the long butt cook. They cook a lot more quickly and allow me to enjoy the fruits of my labor during the low and slow.[p]Pork steaks = sliced pork butt, cut them about a half to 3/4 inch thick and enjoy grilled or smoked.[p]Troy