Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A New Egg to Hatch!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, Ladies and Gentleman: [p] I had visited a family in Seattle that are patients of mine and Helen, the mom, made the most wonderful meal that was so good I couldn’t stop talking about it. She put on the BGE what appeared to be small T-bones. Time went by, she served it up, and I told her that this was the best steak that I have ever had... she said it was lamb! I just couldn’t believe it... And ...To make a very long story short, this wonderful family has given me a large Big Green Egg as a thank-you ! God and friends are good! So my question to you is this, what should I make for my family’s first meal on the Egg and how would you do it ? They prefer beef, as to I. Thank you in advance.[p]Dr. H.

Comments

• Dr. H.,[p]Steak is always good on the egg. Fire the temp up to 600 or so and throw them on for just 5 minutes or so per side. Then shut the top and bottom dampers and let it dwell for about 5 minutes more. Take care when opening the lid, as steam will be coming out where the handle is (use a long garden glove or leather glove if you have nothing else). [p]Veal Chops or T-Bones are great as well if you can find them in the stores. I prefer steaks at least 1-1/2" thick, if you do any thinner, only 3-4 minutes per side. Enjoy, what a great gift.[p]Jeff

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Dr. H., I think the "Jerked Grouper with Papaya Jam" that was posted by BobbyQue is as good as it gets anywhere.

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Dr. H.,
    I'd go with steaks. Get some 1" or a little over NY Strip Steaks, Poterhouse or T-bone. Crank the Egg to 750* and put em on for about 4 minutes a side and then shut her down and dwell till done. About 135*-140* internal temperature for medium rare. A little Montreal seasoning or Char Crust would add a nice touch.
    B D

• Dr. H.,
    If you want beef, go to your local Sam's Club or equivalent and buy some nice beef tenderloin steaks. Cook them just as you would steaks. Oh baby.....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Dr. H.,
    They can be my friends too? Please introduce me!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Dr. H.,
    And I thought I had a good friend by introducing me to BGE!
    Since you like beef, nice, thick rib-eyes are always a favorite and easy to cook. Might be me, but the times listed in this thread seem to be a bit on the long side, tending to cook a steak past the medium stage.
    And since you don't have to invest in the Egg itself, you can now go out and get all the needed accessories!
    Enjoy!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Dr. H.,
    Great story and welcome to the new owners and the "Club Egg" forum.
    Your story reminds me of the old day's when Dr's were paid in a similar manner, a hen, garden supplies, fresh meats, Ect.
    Now is done with "Egg's" yet!! Great haul Dr. H..:-)
    I go with steak myself, but you may wish to duplicate your friends fine cook with the lamb steaks. Let us know about that recipe!!
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Dr. H.,
    Since they did lamb for you and the both of you enjoy beef go for this recipe. Little time consuming but well worth the effort.

[ul][li]It's a winner[/ul]