Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trivet topic

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just doing a full dismantle and cleaning...and discovered that my trivet is cracked a good half way across..only on one half..but it still got my attention...I`m thinkin things must be gettin pretty hot down there...was wonderin if any others that use a lodge trivet have experienced similar problems...been using mine since day 1 ( April 28th ) and have never gone over approx. 800° dome temp..just the same old cooks everyone else is doing...trying to figure out if this is another clue towards firebox problems??? any input would I`m sure be appreciated by all who use the trivet...[p]Wess

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    WessB, you got it.."HOT"!!
    I have used diamond mesh for over 3 years and still on the same iron...it gets red hot and keeps right on tickin..! :-(
    C~W[p]

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Metal_trivet_crack2.jpg
    <p />WessB,[p]My Lodge trivet crack only after a couple of uses. I have gone back to the ceramic fire grate for my Mini and Small eggs. I use the Lodge Trivet for overnight low & slows on the Large.[p]Carl T

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    WessB,
    Well, I still like the theory that if you do a 750 degree sear on a steak, close the air vents for the dwell, and then open up the air vents full blast before opening the egg, the cold air rushing in is going to do rude things to whatever type grate you have, and possibly the firebox too. Have you been doing this?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    WessB, color me "cracked too" My Lodge in the large craked across to the main center hole after 3 months and as I use my small for nuke temps I don't think high temps was the fault. I do know a smig about metal casting though and that cast iron trivet was not designed to take the heat it gets. Now OTOH the cast iron floor drain in my small is solid as a rock. Is it better iron? I doubt it, but the trivet was meant to be "purdy" not down in the bowels of a fire breathing dragon. BTW did you ever read the email I sent you today about my opinion regarding a small egg?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WessB
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    NO.....thanks to CW my dwells and burps only involve opening the top vent...but my trivet looks just like the pic posted...[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks for the resonse..and the bowles as you mention are ..I`m sure the probelm...just happy to see I`m not the only one...and yes I did get your E mail along with others...thanks for the responses to all...I`m not the one that needs convincing about the small....it`s Mama...I already want it and can deinately see the NEED for one..I been burnin some serious lump already..LOL[p]Wess

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    grate9.jpg
    <p />WessB,[p]Maybe this will help. It's not a trivet![p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    grate1.jpg
    <p />Carl T,[p]To my knowledge, you are the first person to complain about a damaged trivet. It is a casting so imperfections are common and the fact that it was soon after starting to use it also confirms that. I would never go back to the ceramic and I think you will soon see BGE do the same. My trivet has been in use for almost 3 yrs with no problems and great results. [p]Tim[p]Tim
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I was cruising the web site below and came across an interesting picture that looked something like what you have above.[p]Jethro
    [ul][li]Have you seen this?[/ul]
  • Jethro
    Options
    Jethro,[p]Or more to the point.[p]Jethro
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Tim M,
    Mine is cracked too. So Tim, what is that thingy in the bottom?

• Tim M
    Options
    Jethro,[p]Sorry - say again?? Huh?[p]Tim
  • Jethro
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I was trying to link to the following URL:[p]http://www.tm52.com/bge/grate7.jpg[p]I'll try again but the old copy paste on the above should work.[p]Tim are you the official test pilot for new BGE Eggcessories?[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

[ul][li]Tim's New Grid Pics[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    WessB,
    Mine is also cracked but I'm still using it.
    New Bob