Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello char woody and friends. remember me? i need to know some ways to prepare whole lobster on the BGE. have a hot date sat night and i want to knock her socks off (socks?) with a killer meal!

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    grillin Jimbo,[p]Here's a copy of a killer lobster tail recipe, you might be able to adapt to whole lobster. Good luck with the sock - hope they turn out to be stockings![p]Lobster Tails /courtesy Houndog in Texas. Thanks HD.[p][ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Club Egg - BGE Forum ] [ FAQ ][p]Posted by Char-Woody on May 06, 2001 at 11:56:21:
    Ingredients:
    4 Huge Lobster Tails
    1 bit Peanut Oil
    1-2 Ea Limes
    Garlic Powder
    1 Touch Lawry's Seasoning Salt
    (Optional) New Mexican Green Chili Powder
    Butter
    Minced Garlic
    Serves 2
    Preparation:
    Picked up 4 huge lobster tails. Thought at first, 1 pound tails for each of us would be ok. Naaaaahhhh - if two tails would be good, 4 tails for the two of us would be better, right ? Get your shears and cut the clear membrane off the belly of the tail, getting rid of the tiny feet, exposing the meat. Rinse them good, dry them with paper towel and place them shell side up on a cutting board. Take a heavy knife or cleaver, place it longwise (parallel) in the center of the shell and tap the back of the blade into the shell, cracking it ever so slightly. This is so our tail will lay flat on the grill. Do not take meat out of the shell ! Now flip them over, belly side up. Take a bit of oil ( I used peanut )and pour a small amount on your fingers, and lightly rub the meat. Don't use much at all, barely a drizzle. Grab a lime or two and squeeze juice and pulp all over the meat, liberally. Then shake on garlic powder and a touch of Lawry's seasoning salt. I then have to throw my favorite ingredient of all time, which goes on everything I cook, New Mexican green chili powder. Don't worry if you don't have this, it's hard to find, and your lobsters will still be far and above any lobster you ever had before. Place covered tails in fridge for an hour or so to marinade while your gettin' your cooker ready. Get a good hot bed of lump going and preheat your cooker to 400 - 450 degrees. As all of you know, when it comes to seafood and a good hot fire, you must move swiftly because every minute counts. Place tails, meat side down on the grill and press them flat. This is why we weakened the shells earlier with the tapping cleaver. Set your metal cup on the grill also with butter and minced garlic so it will melt and sauté' the garlic. Close the lid. If you don't have a metal cup to use on the grill while you're cookin', get one ! Open the cooker after 5 minutes and with a leather glove, carefully turn tails over onto their shells so meat is facing up towards the sky. Take your (cup grab it with a leather glove please) with the butter and garlic, and spoon sautéed mixture onto the lobster tails. The tails will form a slight cupped shape which will hold most of the butter in place, but your fire will rage for a minute, and that is great. Close the lid down and slowly begin to close top and bottom drafts so they can "Dwell in the Shell" for 5 more minutes. Remember - with a good hot fire, 5 minutes per side, that's it. With 50 dollars worth of lobster on the grill, you definitely want to pay attention. I don't recommend holding any conversations with your company while you're fixin' this supper. Tell your family and friends that you'll socialize again after this crucial 10 minutes is over. Once everyone tastes what you've agonized and sweated over for 10 minutes, no more explanations will be necessary. Simply, Heaven on Earth ! Serve with long grain and wild rice, corn on the cobs, asparagus, salad, just about anything. Even though we had melted butter to dip the lobster in, it wasn't really necessary. It was so good that were doing it again for the family tomorrow night. They'll be surprised when they get beef tenderloin steaks and lobster tails out of their brisket and pulled pork Houndog. I'm not that good a cook, but these tails are truly world class. Give 'em a try.
    "elegant, yet pleasingly casual" [p]Submitted by Houndog

• Jethro,
    thanks man, looks good!

• Jethro,[p]I can vouche for that recipe, I've used it several times myself. I have another method for whole lobster as well.[p]Get as large a foil pan as will fit in the egg with at least a 1" lip. Fill the pan with about 1" of water, 2 bags of crab boil, 1/2 cup of salt, squeeze 4 or 5 lemons in there, crush about 5 cloves of garlic, and cut up one onion. Do this only after you have a super hot fire started. When the water in the pan begins to boil, throw the lobsters in. Turn them once maybe after 8-15 minutes if the shell has turned red under the water. Finish up on the other side about 5 more minutes or when it's red. Watch these closely, don't let it spend too much time in there once the shell is totally red. This method gets alot of spice into the tail from the water/spices, but you get some smoke flavor as well because the lobster is not totally submerged in the water.[p]Variation of Houndog:[p]Season as per Houndog, but remove tails from shell completely. Wrap each tail completely with 1 or 2 strips of thick bacon after seasoning and use skewers or toothpicks to hold bacon ends. Keep in mind, the tails are somewhat protected/insulated by the bacon so they can stand to stay on the grill until the bacon is at least starting to crisp.[p]Good luck,[p]Jeff
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    grillin Jimbo,[p]If you are doing lobster (Langouste...southern lobster)that all sounds great but, if you are doing North Atlantic cold water lobstah ...Abomination! Heresy! Evilness!
    Cold water lobstah has a flavor all of its own and a sweetness that makes it unique among creepy crawley things.
    All you need to do to cook the best (real) lobstah is add a little COLD water to the pot that will hold the little buggers, a teaspoon of whit vinegar and that's all!
    Put your lobstah's in the COLD water and bring the water up to boiling. Let it boil 5 minutes, bugs should be red, shut it down and let then sit for a few minutes.
    The teaspoon of whte vinegar came from a lady that has a little restaurant out in Perry, Maine. She told me it makes the meat a little more tender and it does.
    Carey

• Sundown,[p]I'm originally from the coast of N.H. I would normally agree with you but that Dwell in the Shell recipe is just outstanding. Apples are great by themselves but throw them in a pie and you now have dessert. Throw a lobster tail in an Egg is creating the ultimate sweetness.[p]CC
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    ColoradoCook,
    Lobstah on the grill is great but with all of the "stuff" Jethro suggests?!No way!
    A dwell in the shell is really quite good because he's cooking in his own juices and that is sweet.[p]Carey[p]

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Jeff E.,[p]is this for lobsta tails, or whole ones?
  • char buddy,[p]In the pan is for whole lobsters, wrapped in bacon is for tails only.[p]Jeff