Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walleye fillet help please

Options
Rick G
Rick G Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently bought some walleye fillets and I want to grill them on the Egg. I have never cooked fish on my Egg before so any help would be great.[p]Thanks
Rick

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Rick G,
    Two ways I cook walleye. In a large iron skillet with clarified butter or grilled direct. Skin side down, brush with melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Cook until fish turnes opaque and flakes with a fork, no more. 400 dome for the iron skillet, 350 dome for direct grilling. Delicious.
    Clay

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02073a.jpg
    <p />Rick G,[p]Walleye is one of my favorite species of fish. Don't get me wrong here, walleye is really good grilled with some seasoning and lemon juice. It looks kind of bland but the flavor makes up for it.[p]30cbd660.jpg[p]On the other hand, it makes some great fish cakes and your egg is used first for cooking the fillets like above, then can be used later (with a cast iron griddle or skillet) for cooking the fish cakes. Or you can just do them on the stovetop. You know.... that big square thing in the kitchen with the clock.[p]Here are the details. This is just a guide, you can tickle just about anything.[p]~thirdeye~[p]Fish Cakes[p]3 lbs. walleye, perch or other whitefish
    1 large carrot, shredded
    2 stalk celery, diced
    1/2 medium red onion, diced
    1 green onion, diced
    4 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
    1-1/2 cups mayo
    2 tsp Tsunami Spin (or your favorite seasoning, some folks like Old Bay)
    Sea salt (what else)
    Cracked pepper
    Olive oil (for grilling fish)[p]Grill (or bake) your fish with a little salt, pepper & olive oil. Cool on a rack and break into large pieces. Mix the other ingredients together first, then add the fish. Stir, trying to keep the fish chunky. Form into patties, refrigerate 1 hour. Saute as-is in a little bit of olive oil. Or, sprinkle with cornmeal fish fry (or egg wash & bread crumbs) and sauté in oil.[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    Rick G,
    You lucky dog, I would LOVE to have some fresh Walleye!! Hard to get here in Phoenix for this "Ex-Minnesotan"

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    orion11,
    I bought some frozen walleye fillets at Bashas and they were good. -RP