Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New (to me) Cast Iron

Options
duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DutchOven.jpg
<p />Picked this up at the Brimfield Flea market. $20. down from $30. I thought it was a good deal, perfect condition. Any Ideas what that bottom insert is used for? It is bottom up in the photo, looks almost like a spare lump grate.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    duckegg,
    great buy! That is a trivet to set the hot pot on.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    duckegg,
    it will keep a roast from scorching on the bottom if the temps get out of control on a campfire, i have something similar that i made a long time ago. on the egg i just layer some onion slices under the pot roast, but that will work fine.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    duckegg,[p] Aren't flea markets cool.. :)[p] As RRP said it's a trivet. It can be used to keep food off the bottom of the Dutch Oven, but it's best use is to set the hot oven on.[p] It really needs to be seasoned again. What is on there won't hold up long.. See my post below about the steak sear..[p]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    furthermore as a bit of BGE trival several years ago several eggers purchased that trivet to use to replace the old ceramic firebox grate before BGE switched to the new metal ones. Trouble was they are rather thin and couldn't stand the intense heat. I myself went through two of them in about 3 years.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    my dutch oven has the legs, i wouldnt have used it that way. reheated some foodsavered pulled pork last night with the trivet in a pot to avoid melting the bag, worked well.

fukahwee maine

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    fishlessman,[p] You have a Camp Dutch Oven if you have the legs. The lid for those are designed to hold coals.[p] I have a bunch of those too :)[p]
  • duckegg
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Brimfield is huge! It runs for about a week, three times a year. You can find almost anything you wan there, not always the cheapest but anything.[p]I had not considered that being a trivit, I thought was just to keep thing off the bottom, how handy, multi-tasking.[p]Thanks Guys!

• duckegg
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    We did a rafting trip through the Grand Canyon several years ago and they used that type. Gas on the bottom and Briquettes on the top. The food was great.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    yep, #12 deep and yes i do keep it at camp LOL. works real well, that lid is nice too as you can cook on it, the other pot i have has the basting type studs on the lid which isnt as practical in the egg as i never use that cover in the egg. this was basic potroast with potatoes and some onions, water wine and broth. a nice crunch forms on the top if you dont cover the roast with water as i see most seem to do.

fukahwee maine

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    As everyone has said, that thing with the holes is a trivet. There is a great Egg-related use for it, though. You can use the trivet below a drip pan when you are using the inverted platesetter. It works wonderfully! It keeps the liquids in the drip pan from scorching by allowing just a bit of airflow underneath.[p]In the Dutch oven - you can use it to keep food off the bottom of the oven, as someone said earlier, but you can also bake in the DO using the trivet as a sort of "bottom rack". We use it with a circular cornbread pan. Heat up DO with trivet, lower cornbread pan onto trivet, bake with top on. The trick is using two pairs of needle-nosed pliers to lower and raise the cornbread pan. This way the DO is ready to be used for cooking something else without cleaning it out.[p]Have fun! (great score)[p]Bob V