Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made hot sauce! Lot of Pics..

Options
icemncmth
icemncmth Posts: 1,165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I make my own hot sauces...because I like
them hot!!!![p]So this is one I do ...I take 10+ habaneros and cut off the stems..[p]176195880-S.jpg[p]then chop..[p]176197284-S.jpg[p]Next comes a couple of sarano peppers..chopped[p]176195711-S.jpg[p]While doing this I have one onion and a few cloves of garlic on the
stove simmering in a little grape seed oil...[p]176197444-S.jpg[p]Throw in the peppers for a few mins...[p]176197106-S.jpg[p]While the peppers are cooking I take a Mango ..Peach and chop them and
juice a lime...[p]176196397-S.jpg[p]And them add them to the mix..
176195553-S.jpg[p]
While this is simmering I get my spices and stuff together..[p]176197623-S.jpg[p]Now I add some yellow mustard and the spice mix..[p]176196933-S.jpg
176196233-S.jpg[p]Now we mix and let simmer and add some vinegar to deglaze the pan..Not
too hot
or you will have a huge mess..If you plan on doing this make sure you
do not breath the vapors...!!!!!!!!!!![p]176195371-S.jpg[p]Now once it has cooked for a little bit you put it in a blender...Now
remember kids...hot liquids in a blender expand.!!!!![p]176196722-S.jpg[p]Then you put it in a jar and let sit for a couple of weeks in the
fridge..[p]You can use it right away but it will have a bite to it...after a
couple of weeks it will mellow a little.[p]You can substitute carrots or anything that is sweet..apples...etc[p]Ingredients[p]10 + Habaneros
2 Seranos
1 Mango
1 Peach
1 Lime juiced
1 Small onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 TB curry powder
1 TB Ground cumin
1 TB Chili powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 T grape seed oil...
S&P to taste...[p]Have fun!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    icemncmth,[p]That is an excellent how-to. I like habanero sauces when the sauce still maintains flavor instead of just heat. The older I get the less heat I can tolerate. LOL Yours looks very good by the way.[p]Speaking of carrots, Here is another similar sauce recipe that has carrots added. Thought you may like it for your recipe file. It's flavor and orange color is similar to Melindas if you are familiar with that sauce.[p]~thirdeye~[p]Ingredients: [p]1/2 cup onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 cup carrots, chopped
    1/8 cup water (add more if needed)
    8 to 12 habaneros, stemmed but not seeded, chopped
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup lime juice[p]Sauté onions and garlic in oil over medium low heat until soft but not brown. Add carrots and water. Bring to boil, reduce to low and cook until carrots are cooked. Add water as needed until carrots are tender.[p]Remove this mixture to a blender and blend along with the Habaneros. When smooth, mix in vinegar and lime juice
    and simmer briefly. If you are looking to use the sauce immediately, simmer for 5 min; if you are going to store it, 2 min will be sufficient but will increase the heat of the sauce to about Melinda's xxtra sauce heat. [p]You may opt to double the Habs to create a
    painfully hot sauce (about as hot as Melinda's reserve).[p]Pack into sterilized containers for storage.[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • icemncmth
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]
    I have this recipe...and it is really good ..[p]The one I posted gives you the Hab taste without all the bite..![p]
    But ..I am the guy who puts slices of fresh Habaneros on my hamburger..

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    icemncmth,
    I had to think about drinking a cold one after looking at those pics. Really hot?[p]Mike

• icemncmth
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I am drinking a cold one now......!!![p]
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    Options
    icemncmth,[p]That looks very similar to the recipe for "Homestyle Inner Beauty Hot Sauce" from the cookbook "Big Flavors of the Hot Sun" by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoghby. It's one of my favorite homemade sauces -- I make a couple of gallons every summer. This summer, in addition to making with fatallis from my garden (which I usually use) I will also try with some Bhut Jolokia that I am growing (1,000,000+ SHU).[p]Matt
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    icemncmth,
    Man, with all that heat what keeps the jar from melting?

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    Perhaps it is all the COLD beer nearby!