Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do it yourself White Castle/Krystals

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everybody. Long time no post, but I've been lurking. (And drooling - grin!) The recipe in the link has prompted me to post.[p]Local grocery store advertised half size hamburger buns and that sealed the deal. Relatively easy, cooked at 350°, direct on the Egg.[p]My budding 3 1/2 year old sous chef loved 'em. A burger just his size. Even the wife, who doesn't really like hamburgers, said this one's a keeper.
[ul][li]Mini Man Burgers[/ul]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    hey kelly, glad to see you!!!. ..[p]the real key to the white castle burgers (beyond the dimutive size) is the fact that technically, they are 'steamed', not grilled. ... at white castle, they grill the onions on a flat grill, then lay the burgers on top of the onions with the top half of the bun on top of them. ..they do not get flipped at all. ..the juices from the onions, combined with the juices from the meat, serve to 'steam' the burger till its done (that's also why there are holes in the burgers, to allow for the steam to come through them). ...[p]now, i'm thinking you could still prepare the burgers like described in your thread, set a cast iron griddle in your egg, and replicate this technique pretty easily....and with a chunk of wood in the egg, you'd add a nice smoke flavor to the whole affair. ...[p]there were some postings last week about doing some really thin burgers. ..can't remember now who posted, but they sure looked good. . .[p]

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, thin burgers were me. Now you got me thinking again. Wonder what would happen if you put a wok top over the cast iron griddle while searing the burgers. Maybe a middle ground between how hot the griddle is vs. the steaming affect. hmmmmmmmm. t [p]

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    True enough, Max. I've even got a recipe at home for doing ersatz Castles right down to the 5 holes. (I'll dig it out for you TJV - the reciped DOES call for a covering over the griddle.) I didn't go that route for 3 reasons: 1st I don't own a griddle I can use on the Egg without incurring the wrath of "She who must be obeyed". 2nd I was LAZY. ;-) and 3rd the 3 1/2 year old sous chef would run in the opposite direction at the sight of onions. (Which is strange as he loves sliders as long as there are no onions or pickles on them...)[p]The strange thing is that this is the ONE recipe I don't ever what to be better then the original. If I managed to pull that off I'd never get my slider fix when passing through St. Louis. ;-)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    here you go. . .check out this link. . ..and watch the video. ..damn, i could really go for a bag full right about now!!!

[ul][li]http://www.whitecastle.com/_pages/secret.asp[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Glad to see you post again Kelly. Those little burgers are great for the kids. Got rain?[p]Mike

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Not since Thursday, Mike. Of course my windows were down a skosh, so I had a wet heinie all the way home to Jeff. ;-)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    I forgot to ask, have you been to Weavers lately? If so, anything new?[p]Mike