Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Pizza on the EGG???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have luck with frozen pizza's on the egg?[p]I have attempted 2 now and both were edible. However I have a slight
burn on the bottom of both pizza's and am forced to watch them closely. [p]Here is my setup. One pizza stone directly on the grill with the dome temp at 400. [p]I am seeking your advice. Can I do Frozen Pies??? What temp and do I need to add another pizza stone or plate setter?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Coals,
    Never done a frozen pie..so i guess I cant answer your question specifically...but you can buy pre made dough or packets of pre mixed dough ( like flour) and use either a jar of sauce or your own home made and your own and toppings as you wish...just check "Spins" recipe in the recipe section..it takes a little trial and error but it`s well worth the effort..best pizza I ever had was made at home on the egg..[p]Wess

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Coals,[p]Preheat the pizza stone with your Egg and cook the frozen pie on a wire rack set on the pizza stone. Follow the directions for heat and cooking time.[p]Spin
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Spin,
    Best to you ans Mrs. Spin..hoping all is well[p]Wess

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Coals,
    I played around with DiGiorno pizzas. I haven't completed my experimenting yet, but so far here is what I've found. They do best if you cook them following the instructions on the box. Don't try a 600 degree cook like in Spin's recipe. Spin's uses fresh dough, not frozen pizza. My guess is that the frozen rising pizzas like Digiorno are using a flour that releases moisture in order to get steam to help it rise during baking. This causes it to dry and burn more quickly. Cook at 400 degrees and use a plate setter or two stones if you have them. I found that the second pizza did better than the first, so you might try the pizzaria trick of preheating the stone for a good while like 20-30 minutes and then wipe it down with a damp rag. Then, if you cook subsequent pizzas, the stone will already be cooled by the previous pizza. But the secret ultimately lies in following the directions on the box.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    pizza2.jpg
    <p />Coals,[p]Burnt bottoms means too much heat comming from the pizza stone. Preheat it less or add more ceramic to slow down the heat transfer. I also assume you are letting the pie thaw first. [p]I do mine at 550-600 deg on a setter with stone on top. [p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I need a plate setter to go with the pizza stone.

• Spin,
    Thanks for the suggestions.[p]I will try it![p]