Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow Cook--Keeping temperature low

WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm still trying to master my egg but I haven't figured her out yet! Especially regarding temp control. Tried to cook chicken at 250 with bottom vent barely cracked maybe 1/8 inch and top shut with wheel barely open. Dome temp still rose to 280-290 and wouldn't drop unless I shut lower vent completely. I managed OK with that cook.[p]Here's my problem: I am determined to try my first butt this weekend and am wondering how to run a steady 200-220 when I couldn't get to that level before without shutting her down occasionally. That would make for a long night! How much more can I shut that bottom vent and still expect to have a fire going the next morning? Any suggestions?[p]Bob

Comments

• WudEyeDoo,
    My bet is that your dome temp. thermometer is not calibrated correctly. Try placing the probe in boiling water and insure it registers 212#.[p]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    WudEyeDoo,[p]Start narrowing the lower vent when you're 50-75 degrees below your target temp. The key to a steady low & slow fire is to start small and sneak up on it gradually. I usually put a butt on when the dome temp is about 170, and let it rise gradually to 250 over the next hour. [p]Pork butts are very forgiving, so don't be concerned if the temp spikes up and takes a while to bring down. It's the average temp over a loooooong cook that counts, and it's fine to cook at 250 or so.[p]Hope that helps -[p]Cathy[p]
  • WudEyeDoo
    Doug K.,
    I did that, it's OK.

• WudEyeDoo
    Cat,[p]Thanks! Sounds like great advise, I'll try it that way.[p]Bob
  • WudEyeDoo,[p] Check to make sure your dome is sealing properly. Sometimes the hinge and band is misadjusted and causes a small gap between the dome and the base in the back. This is usually enough to screw up low-temp control.[p]MikeO
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    WudEyeDoo,
    You're in all likelihood going to use some mass for an indirect cook (plate setter or firebricks)...and placing them on once you get fired up, will slow the temp buid-up as the temps try to rise in the dome. As mentioned earlier, this will help you climb more slowly to target temps that you can keep regulated efficiently. Happy Cooking and even Better Eating!! Big Murth

• Bob:[p]All the comments so far have been sound advice. I know when I got my large I couldn't get the temps down below 300-350° without putting the fire completely out. As it turns out, I had a small gap in the felt which was letting in too much air. But, Spin also sent me some advice which I will pass along.[p]"The bottom vent has much more control over the ultimate cooking temp of the Egg, the top vent being used for finer adjustments. A closed top vent (alone) will not kill the fire, while a closed bottom vent (alone) will slowly kill the fire. <snip> Approximate bottom vent setting and resulting dome temps are: 1/16"=180-210°, 1/8"=220-250°, 1/4"=250-280°, 1/2"=275-325°, 1"=325-350°, 2"=350-400°. Top vent setting affect regulated temp more as cooking temp rises as more airflow is required to maintain a hotter fire." (Thanks again, Spin!)[p]If anyone'd like a more complete version of Spin's tips, email me privately.[p]Kelly
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Cat,
    Hey there!
    I understand a Happy birthday is/was in order. What's it like being 29?[p]Carey

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    WudEyeDoo,[p]Your dome temperature gauge only measures the heat of the air in the dome of your Egg. On firing up your Egg, the Egg itself requires heat to come to cooking temperature. Any setup (mass - firebrick, pizza stone(s), ect.) also suck the heat of the fire as they slowly heat up. Once your Egg and the installed setup heat up the fire then becomes too well fed... The meal itself will lower the dome temperature when added as it absorbs the available heat. It also will come to temp.[p]Cat's advice is sage. You only know your Egg temperature when you are sure that the vents are actually controlling the temperature.[p]You are doing very well.[p]Spin[p]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Hi Carey![p]Thanks for the b'day wishes. Hmmmm, let's see, 29....sorry, I can't remember. You know how it is at our age. ;-}[p]Cathy

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Cat,[p]Dearest, I have shoes older than you. Now I can't seem to find them but I know they are around here somewhere.
    My office manager said something to the effect that she really liked older men... they always hold the doors open for her.
    When I blew the candles out on my B'day cake the fire department came with oxygen to revive me and a citation for NOT having a fire permit! A $50 dollar fine in this town.[p];>)
    Carey